LAS VEGAS – Lawyers for the casino mogul’s ex-wife say that they have proof of Steve Wynn’s pattern of reckless behaviour and the mismanagement of Las Vegas-based Wynn Resorts and will be present during a hearing scheduled to begin Tuesday in state court in Las Vegas. It is the latest move in a yearslong case with him, Elaine Wynn and the company they founded.
The seat may have previous deposition testimony and live witnesses, including Elaine Wynn, who has accused her ex-husband, the general counsel and a member of the board of directors of the get of her from the board of directors in 2015 because of its investigation into the activities of the company. Her contract-related claims are what is left of a broader case that began in 2012.
A part of the struggle between the Wynns ended earlier this month an agreement which provided that they would jointly vote on the affairs of the company was deemed to be legally valid. This came weeks after Steve Wynn resigned as chairman and CEO of the casino company amid sexual misconduct allegations that were first reported by the Wall Street Journal.
The newspaper reported two months ago that a number of women, said the billionaire harassed or attacked, and that in one case led to a $7.5 million settlement with a manicure formerly employed by the company. Other allegations and a settlement with any other employee, have since surfaced.
Steve Wynn, 76, has vehemently denied the accusations from the newspaper and she wrote Elaine Wynn, whose lawyer has denied that she the film.
Tuesday the lawsuit was filed after the court denied a motion from Steve Wynn’s lawyers tried to exclude from the trial the scheme he went with the manicure in 2005; alleged misuse of the resources of the company including planes, Rolex watches and Ferrari cars; alleged illegal gambling and other misconduct by two managers; and other topics.
“They want to try and make a case about sex, sexual harassment, illegal gambling, and all other charges that they can throw without there being any evidence to link the allegations of the claims it has asserted in this case,” Todd Bice, a lawyer Wynn Resorts, said during a March 16 hearing.
A so-called Petrocelli hearing as planned for Tuesday, can lawyers present to a judge, without a jury present, alleged prior bad acts and evidence to support them. The court then determines if those acts will be told to the jury.
“The offer of this evidence is not to Mr. Wynn’s propensity to commit sexual misconduct, but do to the possible motivation of the cross-defendants in not re-the nomination or the support of Mrs. Wynn for the board seat, that the performance of the contract demand,” Clark County District Court Judge Elizabeth Gonzalez said during a hearing Friday. “Mrs. Wynn will have to show by a preponderance of the evidence that she reported every incident that they plan to carry on the process and that there is credible evidence of the event.”
Attorneys for Wynn Resorts in the documents of the proceedings said Elaine Wynn “it’s even gone so far as to contact” the lawyer for a woman who entered into a settlement with Steve Wynn “to verify her client’s availability to testify” at the Petrocelli hearing.
Elaine Wynn owns 9.5 million shares in Wynn Resorts, which she together with her ex-husband in 2002. Steve Wynn last week sold all its shares in the company.
A larger part of the yearslong case was settled earlier this month at the Wynn Resorts agreed to pay a Tokyo-based company’s $2.4 billion by the end of March.