Today Germany-Mexico on the program. We look back on a previous confrontation.
Our eastern neighbours to keep good memories of the world CHAMPIONSHIPS-group competition against Mexico in 1978. In England sent BBC1 the match live, immediately after the ‘The Germans’episode of Fawlty Towers. It is not known whether the German team the clip with John Cleese‘s memorable impersonation of Adolf Hitler and the words ‘Don’t mention the war’ as preparation viewed. However, it is clear that the former West-Germany in the host country, Argentina as a steamroller over the Mexicans cold rolled: it was 6-0. Hansi and Dieter Müller (no relation) scored once, Heinz Flohe and Karl-Heinz Rummenigge two times.
For Bayernlegende Rummenigge were the first interlanddoelpunten, a goal in a oefenmatch against Italy a year earlier disregarded. The beginning of an impressive series: in 96 matches for die Mannschaft he found 45 times touch. Thus, he holds the sixth place in the topschuttersranking of his homeland. Miroslav Klose leads that list with 71 goals in 137 matches. Two is still a Bayernicoon: GerdMüller is the most efficient German striker with 62 hits in 68 international matches. He took an average of 1.10 goal per cap which he does better than Rummenigge (0,47) and Klose (0,52).
Football world cup 2018 in Russia
- WK-barometer: from prayer to data analysis
- FIFA stands banners in support of Iranian women in stadiums
- Germany – Mexico: interesting test case for the defending champion
- World cup retro: how John Cleese the Germans, perhaps inspired
- Our man in Russia: ‘Enlargement world cup a good idea? No one is required to examine anything’
- Read all articles about world cup 2018 in Russia