What ever happened to that ‘Barefoot Bandit’ Colton Harris-Moore?

to connectVideoNew Photos from the ‘Barefoot Bandit’

A Film about his life is in production

What is the folklore in the 21st century.

Colton Harris-Moore, a former refugee who became a modern folk hero. He was known as the “Barefoot Bandit” for an unforgettable cross-country crime spree, and he was a teen-ager.

Harris-Moore began breaking into homes and cabins on Puget Sound, Camano Island, court records showed.

The “Barefoot Bandit” has developed a huge following online, with the aid of keeping track of his movements, as well as social media.

Harris-Moore was sentenced in 2012 to seven years in prison for a string of crimes he committed in bare feet, which began after he escaped from a juvenile halfway house in 2008.

He was eventually captured following a crash landing of a plane he stole in Indiana and flew it to the Bahamas.

Here’s the story.


After his reputation as a celebrity criminal, Harris-Moore is in the spotlight these days.

In December 2015, will be approved by Donald Trump for president-on his personal blog.

He also now has a Twitter account where he describes himself as “a Pilot, Entrepreneur, Friend or fmr. an international fugitive.”

“The past is done; the future is unwritten. Life is what you MAKE IT!”, he writes in his bio.

However, there is a snake in the grass, an appreciation for the brand.


Last year, the “Barefoot Bandit,” was sentenced to complete a probationary period after a request that he be allowed to visit friends abroad and to the acceptance of employment outside the state of Washington, to-do, goal-based influencer detail type of assignments as a motivational speaker.

Harris-Moore is alleged that the work was going to help him pay off the more than $1 million in restitution he owes to victims of his crimes.

Harris-Moore was sentenced in 2012 to six years in prison, plus three years of supervised probation after being convicted in a series of crimes that included dozens of burglaries and thefts, the smashing of vehicles, and the crash-landing of three of the stolen aircraft.

His nickname came from the hand of a barefoot footprint, which is often left behind at the crime scene, and he even committed some crimes without shoes or socks on, reports said.



The 6-foot-5-inch Harris-Moore pleading to get out of prison early to work on his lawyer’s firm in the summer.

His lawyer, John Henry Browne, told the Seattle Times that he and his client agreed to a year ago that Harris-Moore would end up working part-time at a law firm, while looking for a full-time job, and, ultimately, to go to school.

The job was to answer the telephone and perform general administrative duties, according to the attorney.

The lawyer said that he had sympathy for his client.

“He might have a touch of Asperger’s, and a little bit of it, because he is able to concentrate on something, and the teacher,” Browne said of Harris-Moore’s ability to learn how to fly planes by simply reading the documentation. “He had never even flown in an airplane.”

The lawyer said that his client’s delinquency began as a necessity-not evil.

“He’s started down the path of crime, if we can call it that, is literally in order to eat it,” Browne said. “When he was younger, his mother did not care for him, and, with the help of food stamps for beer and food and stuff.”

His mother died that summer.

Harris-Moore told me that he wanted to be cryogenically frozen for his mother, in the hope that medical advances would allow her to be revived, and her lung cancer was treated. He said that he had not been able to make enough money to pay for the procedure.

He was freed from his work-release program for the winter season.


Harris-Moore’s story have been told in a feature-length documentary film, “Fly Colt Fly: the Legend of the Barefoot Bandit,” will premiere in 2014. It is mixed in with interviews with the animation.

The graphic-novel-style animated documentary film created by Canadian film-makers and shot to death over a period of six weeks to shoot in the Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands.

Unrelatedly, Harris-Moore had been able to sell the movie rights to his story in the hopes of raising enough money to pay for the $1.3 million in restitution to his victims.



He was moved out of solitary confinement and into the general inmate population at another prison in Washington state, corrections officials confirmed in the summer.

He spent three weeks in “intensive management,” the majority of which was at the Walla Walla State Penitentiary in addition to those facing the death penalty. It was for his own protection, as being a high-profile convict, the Washington Department of Corrections spokesman Chad Lewis said.

“Someone might want to make a name for himself by saying,” I can put up with the Barefoot Bandit,'” Lewis said.

Harris-Moore was in solitary confinement at Walla Walla since he arrived in April, and he was allowed out of his cell five times per week, for an hour at a time.



Then, when he was sentenced, in December, a Judge Vickie Churchill said “This case is a tragedy in many ways, but it is a triumph of the human spirit in other ways as well.”

She described Harris-Moore’s upbringing as a “mind numbing absence of hope,” and believed he was genuinely remorseful and contrite.

In a statement that, in the field, ” he said, in his youth, he wouldn’t want to be his “darkest enemies.”

Still, he said, is that he takes responsibility for the crime spree that brought him international fame.



He was arrested in a hail of bullets in the Bahamas in 2010.

After he was captured, he caused the dismay of his fans around the world.

Some of his more than 60,000 Facebook fans posted disappointed messages, while others promoted T-shirts and tote bags with the words “Free Colton!” and “Let Colton Fly!”

“I feel like it would have been better if he was gone because he was never a bad thing, but when he was running from the law,” said Ruthie Key, who owns a market on Great Abaco Island and let Harris-Moore is on her wireless Internet connection July 2010.

“He seemed very innocent when I put it on in the store. I don’t think he would hurt you,” said Button.


Harris-Moore was a skilled outdoorsman who honed his abilities growing up in the woods of Camano Island in Puget Sound about 30 miles north of Seattle, washington.

Harris-Moore’s mother, Pam Kohler, said that he had a difficult childhood. His first conviction, for possession of stolen property, came at age 12. Within a few months of turning 13, he had three of them.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular