Asia Argento speaks during the closing ceremony of the Cannes film festival last May.
(Photo by Vianney Le Caer/Invision/AP)
Actress Asia Argento, one of the first prominent women to accuse disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein of sexual violence, has agreed to pay $380,000 to an actor who is accused of sexually assaulting him when he was 17 years old, The New York Times reported Sunday night.
The actor claims that the attack took place in a California hotel room in 2013, according to the report. The age of consent in California is 18 years old.
Nor Argento’s representatives, nor the actor’s lawyer immediately responded to Fox News’ request for comment.
The newspaper obtained documents sent between lawyers for Argento and the prosecutor’s office that laid out a payment schedule. The paper also had a picture of May 9, 2013 revealed that the two are in a bed together.
On that date, according to a notice of intent to sue document is sent to Argento then a lawyer in November, Argento met the actor at the Ritz-Carlton hotel in Marina del Rey, California. After him alcohol, Argento kissed him and performed oral sex on him for the two sexual intercourse, the report said.
The notice of intent asked for $3.5 million in damages. The Times reported that the final agreement was reached in April of this year.
Argento, now 42, played a prominent role in the demise of Weinstein, the former head of Miramax. In October of last year, The New Yorker published allegations by Argento that Weinstein violence performed oral sex on her in 1997.
“I was not prepared,” she told a journalist Ronan Farrow in the time. “I said, ‘no, no, no.’ … It is twisted. A large fat man want to eat. It is a scary fairy tale.”
Argento added that they had consensual sexual encounters with Weinstein over the years, because they felt that they “had to” and “didn’t want to anger him.”
The allegations against Weinstein by Argento and other actresses — including Ashley Judd, Gwenyth Paltrow, Angelina Jolie and Rose McGowan — gave rise to the global “MeToo” movement and prompted a new investigation of the conduct of leading men in other sectors, particularly in media and entertainment.
Weinstein has been charged in New York with first – and third-degree rape and first-degree commission of a criminal sexual act. He faces up to 37 years in prison, if convicted.
As of Sunday evening, the pinned tweet on Argento’s Twitter account referenced a speech she gave at the Cannes Film Festival in France, an event she described as Weinstein’s “hunting ground.”
“For all the courageous women who came forward denouncing their enemies, and for all the courageous women who will come forward in the future,” she wrote. “We have the power.”