Vitesse striker Thomas Buitink sided Saturday night at his basisdebuut in the Premier league (3-3 at ADO Den Haag) in a row, among others, with Marco van Basten, Ronaldo, Frank Rijkaard and Johan Cruyff by his nineteenth birthday a hattrick.
“I am really very happy that I have the confidence of the trainer have been able to award three goals. This is unforgettable”, said Buitink, Saturday 18 years and 289 days young, after the game against the NOS.
The attacker from Nijkerk, who last year February, made his debut for Vitesse, had until Saturday only one time scored in the TOTO KNVB Cup. In The Hague, he received from coach Leonid Slutsky a chance in the base, and he made in the first half in a span of 23 minutes his first, second and third goal in the Premier league.
Buitink is now the youngest Vitesse-ever player with a hattrick, the first player with three goals in a Premier league match that is born in this century and the first Vitesse-player since Nikos Machlas in 1998 with a hattrick in the first half of a Premier league match.
“I have a special rule: if you train, you get a chance in the base. And Thomas has trained the last two weeks very well, so he played today”, said Slutsky in the NIS. “He deserved it really to have a chance to get and now it is very difficult for me to pass it.”
Thomas Buitink celebrates his 1-2 against ADO Den Haag. (Photo: ProShots)
“I don’t have the best technique’
According to the Russian coach is Buitink no exceptional talent. “Of course he has qualities, but he is not a brilliant player with incredible what about spot’s such as, for example, Martin Ödegaard. Thomas is more of a typical goalscorer, a player who always works hard for the team.”
Buitink could be found in the words of Slutsky. “I know from myself that I am not the best technique to have,” he said. “I try always to work hard, so at least I have a these factors is below par score.”
“After this match, people say maybe I got the nerve am, but in my opinion it may be the finish of opportunities to have an even better”, showed the young attacker is self-critical. “Today, took it out, that I should persevere. I go here just for a night to enjoy and then we will go there tomorrow again.”
Players with a hattrick in Eredivisie for 19th birthday
- 10 aug 2013: Zakaria Bakkali (PSV): 17 years and 196 days
- 20 mar 1966: Ruud Geels (Telstar): 17 years and 235 days
- 30 aug 1964: Willy van der Kuijlen (PSV): 17 years and 268 days
- 28 sept 1980: Wim Kieft (Ajax): 17 years and 321 days
- 19 oct 2003: Collins John (FC Twente): 18 years and 2 days
- 9 apr 1995: Ronaldo (PSV): 18 years and 199 days
- 6 sept 1964: Wietze Veenstra (Go Ahead Eagles): 18 years and 201 days
- 26 nov 2017: Justin Kluivert (Ajax): 18 years and 205 days
- 24 sept 1961: Chris Meijer (FC Blauw-Wit Amsterdam): 18 years and 212 days
- 12 may 1981: Frank Rijkaard (Ajax): 18 years and 224 days
- 30 mar 2019: Thomas Buitink (Vitesse): 18 years and 289 days
- Aug 24, 1983: Marco van Basten (Ajax): 18 years and 297 days
- 19 dec 2001: Rafael van der Vaart (Ajax): 18 years and 311 days
- 13 mar 1966: Johan Cruyff (Ajax): 18 years and 322 days
- 30 sept 2012: Jürgen Locadia (PSV): 18 years and 328 days
View the programme and the position in the Premier league