Video of the police fatal shooting of a naked man raises questions, family says

This still image taken from Richmond, Va., The police body camera shows a police officer pointing his gun at Marcus-David Peters on May 14, 2018, in Richmond, Va.

(Richmond Police department via AP)

The family of a young, black Virginia man who was fatally shot by police while naked and unarmed, said the release of the body-images of the camera and with Friday answered some of their questions about what happened, but grew up even more.

In the images, Marcus-David Peters comes naked out of a car, and dashes on Interstate 95 in Richmond, where he flails for turning in the direction of the officer and shouted threats. The officer using a stun gun for it to shoot Peters twice.

Peters’ sister, Princess Blanding, said at a press conference that her brother was clearly in distress and in need of help. She asked why the officer is busy with her brother, after he noticed that Peters seemed to be “unstable” and why the officer told others at the scene of further deadly force might be necessary after Peters was already on the ground, mortally wounded.

“Furthermore, this whole situation has me really wondering: Who are the police trained to help? Who are they serving and protecting? Yourself?” said Blanding, who saw the images along with the other members of the family.

The shooting are still under investigation.

Blanding said Friday that the behavior depicted in the video was totally out of character for her brother, a teacher who is a graduate with distinction of the Virginia Commonwealth University in 2016. She said that her brother had no known mental health problems.

The police chief Alfred Durham on Friday, May 25, released the video in which the officer first used the stun gun, when Peters approached him. The police say that it was not effective and the officer then shot Peters twice in the abdomen.

(Richmond, Va., The police via AP)

If Peters flails in the lane, Nyantakyi is seen a short distance with a stun gun drawn.

Peters then approaches the officer, slowly at first, and tells him, “that the Taser down or I’ll kill you.”

Nyantakyi burn from the stun gun as Peters to go further. Peters then runs in the direction of the officer, and the video is shaky and more difficult to see. Two shots are heard. Nyantakyi shot Peters twice in the abdomen after deployment of the stun gun, only a prong that connected, Durham said.

Durham said the police are investigating whether the stun gun was effective.

Peters stumbles and then runs away after being shot. The video shows him on the ground a short distance away soon afterwards.

As upcoming officers approach Peters to provide support, Nyantakyi, who is breathing heavily, swearing and has blood on his bands, and tells them that they have a stun gun and “probably more lethal force.”

Peters later died in a hospital.

Nyantakyi remains on paid administrative leave, while the research that will go hand in hand with an autopsy and toxicology report continues, Durham said.

When the investigation is complete, police and from the findings to the commonwealth’s attorney’s office, who will determine whether the use of force was justified.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Bradford Betz is an editor for Fox News. Follow him on Twitter @bradford_betz.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular