Lulabel Seitz had her microphone cut off after they began to discuss sexual violence at school.
Petaluma High School valedictorian Lulabel Seitz said that she wanted for herself and other alleged victims of sexual abuse in her graduation address — but her school in California would not let her.
The officials of the School silenced the sound system after they veered from a pre-approved speech. Administrators later said that they have agreed to the subject matter, but speakers were told not to wander of comments approved.
Seitz later said that she was “unfairly cut off” for trying to silence victims of sexual violence, something she said she experienced on campus.
Seitz said that the management is afraid for the truth.
They posted a video on YouTube of her interrupted speech, and added an uncensored version of the full speech she tried to deliver.
That speech contained the line: “Even teach on a campus where some people defend the perpetrators of sexual abuse and the sound of their victims, we didn’t let that drag us down.”
Seitz said that she was sexually assaulted on campus by someone they knew, and wanted to show frustration, due to a lack of action by the school.
“The school just censor people. The school constantly censor students,” Seitz said. “It was not an easy thing to do to get there and to say what I said — or tried to say.”
The Oscar-winning actress Mira Sorvino, a #MeToo activist, stood up for Seitz online.
Lulabel Seitz is a fierce truth telling, and they tried to silence her, you will understand that victims of sexual violence will be turned off not more???? High school valedictorian says speech was cut off when she began to talk about sexual violence https://t.co/3DXwng2nAe
— Mira Sorvino (@MiraSorvino) June 9, 2018
“Lulabel Seitz is a fierce truth telling, and they tried to silence her, you will understand that victims of sexual violence will be turned off not more????” she tweeted Saturday.
Many of the graduates wearing purple and white robes stood, cheered and chanted “let her speak” as she tried to finish her speech on 2 June, The Press Democrat of Santa Rosa reported. Students clapped and cheered as she returned to her seat on the front row during the ceremony on the school football field.
Seitz said that she was “baffled” that the school had pulled the plug on its address, but the officials said all of the speakers had warned, the microphone would be muted if they went off-message.
Principal David Stirrat said the school had been tipped off in advance that Seitz may differ from her comments approved.
“In Lulabel the case of her approved speech no reference at all to an attack,” he told The Washington Post on Saturday. “We certainly would have considered such an addition, provided that there are no persons named or defamed.”
Stirrat is not returned Fox News’ e-mail request for comment on Sunday.
The New York Post reported that the Petaluma school district said it could not discuss Seitz the allegations of sexual assault because of student privacy issues.
“I thought: this is a public school with the freedom of expression,” she told The Press Democrat. “This is for my class that stood up and said:” let her speak.’ Even if the administration does not give me a microphone, I still want to speak.”
Seitz, 17, whose grandparents emigrated from the Philippines, is the first member of her family to the high school.
She will participate in the Stanford University.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.