News

US conducted secret cyber attack on Iran in the wake of the Saudi oil attack: officials

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The United States carried out a covert cyber operation against Iran in the aftermath of the Sept. 14 attacks on Saudi oil facilities, which are in both Washington and Riyadh blamed Tehran; two US officials told Reuters.

FILE PHOTO: Workers can be seen in the damage done by the Saudi Aramco oil facility in Abqaiq, Saudi Arabia, 20 September, 2019. REUTERS/Hamad (l, Muhammad/File Photo

The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the operation was to take place in September, and took aim at Tehran’s ability to spread “propaganda.”

One of the officials said that the strike affected the physical hardware, but it did not give any further details.

The attack highlights how the President is Donald Trump, the administration has been trying to counter what it sees as Iranian aggression, without a spiral into a broader conflict.

Asked about a Reuters report on Sunday, iran’s Minister of Communications and Information Technology, Mohammad Javad Azari-Jahromi, said: “She must have been dreaming,” Fars news agency reported.

The U.S. strike will appear smaller than any other similar operations against Iran this year, following the shooting down of a U.s. drone in June and an alleged attack by the iranian Revolutionary guards on oil tankers in the Gulf in mid-May.

In the United States of america, United arab Emirates, the united Kingdom, France, and Germany have openly taken the blame for the high prices. 14 an attack on Iran, which denies involvement in the strike. The Iran-aligned Houthi militant group in Yemen claimed responsibility.

In it, the British have responded by sending thousands of additional troops and equipment to bolster Saudi arabia’s defenses, the latest U.S. deployments in the region this year.

The Pentagon declined to comment on the cyber attack.

“As a matter of policy and for operational security we are not talking about cyberspace operations, intelligence or planning,” says Pentagon spokesperson Elissa Smith.

GULF TENSIONS RISE SHARPLY

The impact of the attack, if any, it may take months to figure it out, but that cyber strikes can be seen as a less provocative option to the brink of the second world war.

“You can damage without killing people or blowing things up; it also adds an option to the tool box that we didn’t have before, and our willingness to use it, it is very important,” says James Lewis, a cyber expert with the Washington-based Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Lewis added that it was not possible to deter the Iranian issue, even with a conventional military attack.

The tensions in the Gulf have significantly escalated in May of 2018, when the Trumpet is pulled out from the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action with Tehran, which put limits on its nuclear program in exchange for easing of sanctions.

It was unclear whether or not there is any other U. s. sony cyber attack as the one at the end of September.

Iran has used such tactics against the United States of america. This month, a hacking group that appears connected to the Iranian government trying to infiltrate your e-mail account with the related Asset for his re-election campaign.

For more than 30 days during August and September, the group, the applicant is called “Phosphorus,” and more than 2,700 attempts to identify the consumer’s account, then, attacked, and 241 of them.

Tehran is also thought to be a major player in the spread of misinformation.

FILE IMAGE: A man types on a computer keyboard, a computer in Warsaw in this February 28, 2013 illustration file picture. Kacper Pempel//File Photo

Last year, a Reuters survey shows that more than 70 web sites, which is a push-Iranian propaganda for the 15 countries as well as in any surgery, which cyber security experts, social media companies and journalists are only beginning to discover.

Tensions with Iran have been high since the Sept. 14-attack. Tehran said an Iranian oil tanker was hit by a missile in the Red Sea last week, and warned that there will be consequences.

On Monday, President Hassan Rouhani repeated that his country’s policy in the direction of the Trumpet, with the administration, to the exclusion of the bilateral talks unless Washington and back to the landmark nuclear deal and lift crippling US economic sanctions.

Report by Idrees Ali and Phil Stewart in Washington; Additional reporting by Parisa Hafezi in Dubai, and Jack Stubbs in London, Editing by Gerry Doyle and William Maclean

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular