RICHMOND, Va. – A federal appeals court in Virginia on Thursday rejected a Trump administration request to delay a requirement that it starts with allowing transgender people to enlist in the army on Jan. 1.
A three-judge panel of the Richmond-based 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals wrote in a short period of time that the not granting of the request in an appeal of a lower court ruling of the revenue.
President Donald Trump tweeted in July that the federal government “will not accept or allow transgender people to serve “in any capacity” in the army. That would reverse a 2016 change of policy under President Barack Obama allowing transgender people to serve openly.
Trump later formally directed the Pentagon to extend indefinitely a ban on transgender people in the army, and he gave Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis six months to come up with a policy on how to deal with those currently serving.
Various legal challenges to the proposed ban on the corridor.
Thursday’s order came in a lawsuit filed in Maryland by the American Civil Liberties Union on behalf of six current members of the armed forces who are transgender. A U. S. district court in Baltimore stopped the proposed ban in November, and the government is appealing.
The ACLU named to the 4th Circuit.
“We are pleased that the court saw through the government’s smoke screen and denied her request for a further deferral of the policy allowing transgender people to call. The army has already developed a comprehensive guidance to prepare for a January 1 start date, and the government has no credible reason why transgender people should be excluded from the service if they meet the same rigorous standards that apply to everyone else,” senior staff attorney Josh Block said in a statement.
The Ministry of Justice does not agree with the ruling of the court and is currently evaluating the next steps, spokeswoman Lauren Ehrsam said.
The Pentagon said last week that the recruitment of transgender recruits start Jan. 1 and go to the middle of the legal battles.