WEST BRANDYWINE TOWNSHIP, Pennsylvania. – Two counselors at an addiction treatment facility in Chester County died on Sunday of victims of an overdose.
“If anyone is wondering how bad the opioid epidemic has become, this case is a frightening example,” Chester County District Attorney Tom Hogan said Wednesday. “The staff that is responsible for the supervision of the recovering addicts succumbed to their own addiction.”
The first reactions were called to Freedom Ridge Recovery Lodge in West Brandywine Township Sunday afternoon. The two counselors were found to react in separate rooms. Residents in the group home tried unsuccessfully to resuscitate, one of the counselors of the use of naloxone, which reverses the effect of overdose. Both counselors were pronounced dead at the scene.
The counselors lived and worked in the group home with six male residents.
The researchers found used needles and heroin bags in the area of their body, according to the Chester County District Attorney’s office.
The baggies were stamped with a “Superman” logo, and “Danger/Skull And Crossbones” logo. The authorities are warning the public to stay away from baggies with those markers, say that they are “likely to kill someone that is using them.”
Preliminary toxicology tests on the counselors tested positive for heroin and fentanyl, authorities said.