SIOUX FALLS, S. D. – The U.S. Department of Energy says that the withdrawal of a test to determine whether nuclear waste can be buried far under the ground.
The agency said Tuesday that it does not intend to continue to support the Deep Borehole Field Test a result of changes in the budget.
It was intended to assess whether nuclear waste could be stored in approximately 3-meter-deep holes. Officials had stressed that it would not lead to the use of the actual nuclear waste.
Energy officials said in December that companies exploring potential locations in South Dakota, Texas, and New Mexico. Local officials in North Dakota and South Dakota had previously rejected test organizers.
South Dakota in the USA. Rep. Kristi Noem applauded the Department of Energy of the movement, said she was deeply concerned about the testing in “our backyard” to see if the holes can storage of nuclear waste.