News

Trump is the withdrawal of troops is a terrible mistake, the former Minister of defense, Panetta says

nearvideo-Leon Panetta: There is too much chaos and crisis in the Trump administration, the country needs more stability

The former Secretary of defense Leon Panetta’s criticism of President Trump, the announcement of troops withdrawal from Afghanistan and Syria – says the move sends a “terrible message” to the United States allies around the world and is a threat to the national security.

Speaking on “Fox News Sunday,” Panetta– who served among other roles as Secretary of defense under President Barack Obama, said that despite good progress the military has made against the Islamic state, the United States is far from declaring victory against the terrorist network and the withdrawal of troops from the Middle East leaves the country vulnerable to terrorist attacks.

“I’ve never seen a situation like this,” said Panetta. “The step, a sudden withdrawal of troops from Syria has sent a terrible message to the world about us, where we stand.”

Video

Panetta’s criticism is the latest fallout from trump, the decision is to pull all of the, around 2,000 U.S. troops out of Syria in the coming weeks. Earlier in the week, Minister of defense of Jim Mattis his departure from the Cabinet of the President, and on Friday, Brett McGurk, the U.S. envoy for the global coalition announced to fight ISIS, resigned in protest.

“The recent decision of the President came as a shock and was a complete reversal of the policy,” he said in an E-Mail to his staff appear, by The Associated Press. “Our coalition left confused partner and our fight against the ner, confused, without a plan in place, or even as a thought as to consequences.”

Trump is not played down the development, tweeting Saturday night, “I know,” the messenger, and it is a “nothing event.” He turned to leave McGurk planned soon anyway, and added: “Grand Stander?”

“We were originally tweeted going to be there for three months, and that was seven years ago-we never left,” Trump. “If I was President, ISIS was wild. Now ISIS is largely defeated, and other local countries, including Turkey, should be able to care, easily, what remains. We come home!”

Video

Although the civil war in Syria has since 2011, in the United States not to launch airstrikes against IS, until September 2014, and the American troops in Syria until 2015.

Trump’s Declaration of victory IS over, has been thoroughly refuted by its own expert assessments, and to draw his decision of troops was widely denounced by members of Congress, who called his action a rash.

Mattis, perhaps the most respected foreign policy officials in the administration, on Thursday announced that he is leaving at the end of February. He said Trump in a letter that he leave, because “you have a right to a Secretary of defense whose views are, the better with you.”

Video

To meet the withdrawal of the decision Trump the objective, troops home from Syria, but the military pushed back for months, argue that ISIS will remain a threat and was able to regroup in Syria, the prolonged civil war. The US policy was to troops to keep them in Position until the extremists are eradicated.

ISIS fighters still hold a string of towns and villages along the Euphrates river in Eastern Syria, where it resisted weeks of the attacks in the USA have distribute-backed Syrian Democratic forces. The bag is the home of about 15,000 people, including 2,000 combatants, the estimates according to the U.S. military.

But this number could be as high as 8,000 fighters, if a fighter hiding in the deserts South of the Euphrates are also counted, according to the Syrian observation, the monitors of the conflict for human rights, through the networking of local informants.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular