News

Trump declares NKorea still “extraordinary threat”

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump said Friday that North Korea is still an “exceptional threat” for the United States.

In an executive order, the president extended for one year, the so-called ‘national emergency’ with respect to the nuclear-armed nation, re-authorization of the economic restrictions against it.

As expected, the statement comes just nine days after Trump tweeted, “There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea,” after his summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un in Singapore.

The order seems to undermine the president of the claim.

It states that “the existence and risk of proliferation of weapons-usable fissile material” and the actions and policies of the North Korean government “continue to pose an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security, foreign policy, and economy of the United States.”

The national state of emergency has been in place since 2008 and is a sign of the continuing tensions between the US and North Korea who took over last year, the North moved closed to perfecting a nuclear tipped missile that can reach U.s. soil, but ebbed with the June 12 summit where Kim agreed to “complete denuclearization” of the Korean Peninsula.

The two sides, but still must negotiate the conditions under which the North would give up the nuclear weapons and win relief from sanctions — a goal that has eluded U.S. administrations for a quarter century.

Trump claimed at a Cabinet Thursday that the denuclearisation process had already begun, even though his Minister of Defence James Mattis told reporters a day earlier that he did not know that North Korea had not yet taken steps in the direction of denuclearization, and that detailed negotiations have not yet begun.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular