close tovideo trump: I have just authorized funding for the Special Olympics
After days of controversy and criticism, President Trump said he was back to apply for coverage from a budget that cut funds for the Special Olympics.
Trump told reporters at the White house on Thursday, “I have overwritten the my people for the financing of the Special Olympics.”
The President added: “I’ve been with Special Olympics. I think it’s incredible.”
The Trump-administration, education-budget proposal called for the elimination of $17.6 million for the Special Olympics, about 10 percent of the group’s total turnover.
“We Express our gratitude to the President, the trump card for reauthorizing the funding for the Special Olympics, school-based programming. He joins a long history of over 50 years of U.S. presidents and members of Congress on both sides of the aisle in their support of Special Olympics and the work we do in communities across the country,” the organization said in a statement after Trump’s announcement. “This is a non-partisan issue, and we are proud to create our work, the inclusion in schools and among young people.”
Trump officials, previously referred to, rejected the elimination of the Special Olympics funding in your budget proposal for 2019, but Congress with the idea. Lawmakers from both parties said they would reject it, again for the year 2020.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Democrats pressed, the education Secretary, Betsy DeVos on the topic during a Senate budget hearing on Thursday, just days after House Democrats grilled her on the proposal and sparked criticism online.
In a heated exchange of words with Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., DeVos said she was “not personally involved” in print, for the cut, but she defends it as your Agency seeks to pare $7 billion from the 2020 budget.
The Special Olympics provides training and competition for children and adults with disabilities, with partners around the globe.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.