WASHINGTON – The Department of Justice is continuing its attempt to ban transgender military recruits in the guard.
The decision means that the registration of transgender people can begin Jan. 1.
But their future in the armed forces remains murky. The Ministry of Justice to drop its court fight to enforce the proposed ban on transgender registration. Instead, it says that it will wait for a Pentagon study on the issue in the coming weeks before deciding what to do.
A federal court of appeal has recently refused the Trump administration’s request to let the ban will start Jan. 1. Other federal judges have also refused to side with the administration.
President Donald Trump said in July that the government would not allow transgender people to serve in the army, reversing the Obama-era policies. So far, he is not able to achieve that ban.