News

Toxic algae in 2 of the New York City parks, officials say, and children and pets are warned to avoid the water

to connectVideoDogs die because of a toxic algae, to exposure and after swimming in the lakes, and the

Dog owners are being warned to keep their animals away from ponds and lakes, and after a certain number of cases of dogs dying from toxic algae, to exposure in the southern states of america.

Officials are warning that children and pets should stay away from bodies of water, two of New York City’s parks, after she tested positive for the same type of toxic algae and dead dogs all over the country this summer.

Test the Water in a number of areas, from Central Park in Manhattan and Prospect Park in Brooklyn, which confirmed the presence of a bacterium that can produce toxins, according to the New York Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC).

The presence of toxic algae to be converted into Turtle Pond in Central Park and Prospect Park’s Lake, which is the most recent test earlier this month showed dangerously high levels of toxic chemicals, according to a DEC.

TOXIC ALGAE KILLS 3 DOGS IN AN HOUR AFTER THEY PLAYED IN A NORTH CAROLINA POND, OWNER SAYS

First, the lab results from the sample collected by the New York City Park on Aug. 11, at Central Park, the Harlem meer, and showed high levels of toxic substances, and, according to The DEC. The next week or so, a harmful algal bloom was confirmed at the Harlem meer, but toxin levels were below the threshold.

The evidence also suggested that the Lake in Central Park may be affected by it.

In North Carolina, three of the dogs died earlier this month after swimming in a Wilmington pond and exposed to toxic algae. The owner posted on Facebook that the dogs are being “contracted with a blue-green algae poisoning after swimming in, and the algae is killed the animals within a matter of hours.

Dogs are also reported to have died in san antonio, Texas, and Marietta, Ga., after a refreshing swim in the algae-filled water. Austin is warning pet owners not to let their pets swim in the lake, Lady Bird Lake, as a result of algal blooms.

WATCH OUT FOR TOXIC ALGAE TO KILL IT NOT YOUR DOG

The presence of toxic algae has also been published in several of New Jersey’s lakes this summer, WCBS reported.

Officials warned of toxic algae and can also children to get sick to make it.

“In order to enjoy the fresh water features in city parks it is important to try to avoid contact with any algae and keep pets on leashes and do not allow them to enter or drink from lakes and ponds unless in areas specifically designated for such activities,” a spokeswoman with the new YORK city Parks, said in a statement sent to Fox News.

“A lot of factors have an effect on the algae, including high nutrients, stagnant water, high temperatures, and low oxygen supply,” she continued.

According to the official website of the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation, blooms that produce blue-green algae (BGA), also known as cyanobacteria, can be toxic.

The department warned of the need to be guided by a BGA bloom is present in the water that looks like pea soup, green, red, and blue paints, and blue, or the green scum seen floating on the water’s surface, and accumulated along the shoreline.

BGA can cause skin and eye irritation on contact, and asthma-like symptoms from inhaling water and the gastro-intestinal and neurological disorders of swallowing, experts have said.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE FOX NEWS APP

Those who have been exposed to the BGA affected water should wash with clean water and seek medical attention if they experience symptoms, such as skin, eye, or throat irritation; allergic reactions or breathing difficulties, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, dizziness, headache, and fever, according to the experts.

Fox News’ James Rogers, Madeline Farber contributed to this report.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular