News

Tourist hotspots Vegas, Orlando and more anti-terror money

LAS VEGAS – Federal officials have awarded more money, in the context of an anti-terrorism grant from the tourist hotspots, such as Las Vegas and Orlando after the decision to make the number of visitors and high-profile special events in the calculation of the risk of an attack.

The Urban Area Security Initiative awards money in the ranking of cities’ vulnerability on the basis of the population, valuable, goals, and other factors.

Officials in Florida and Nevada have argued that Las Vegas and Orlando should rank higher on the list. A nightclub, Orlando was the scene of a massive shooting in 2016, and last year a gunman opened fire at a country music festival in Las Vegas in the deadliest mass shooting in modern AMERICAN history.

Federal officials sent letters to Florida, and Nevada officials in April and May to let you know about the changes in the assessment of risks.

“If the funding is available and we have a disproportionate risk, then we deserve to be a part of the resources that our taxpayers send to Washington, D. C.,” said Jerry Demings, the sheriff of Orange County, Florida, including Orlando.

More than 42 million people visited Las Vegas in 2017, while Orlando saw a record 72 million tourists, last year during the theme-parks and other attractions, making it the most visited destination in the U.S.

Las Vegas is receiving $5 million from the program this year, almost double what he got last year. Orlando will get a $ 1.5 million grant — the first award in five years.

New York City the top in the list created after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, there was a slight increase and will be approximately $179 million.

Federal officials have not yet explained why the change was made after years of requests from politicians or said, or the large-scale attacks in Orlando and Las Vegas played a role.

Lesley Fulop, a spokeswoman for the Department of Homeland Security, said in a statement the agency’s grant programs are flexible and are “used to help the evolving threats.”

Nevada Republican U.S. Sen. Dean Heller and Democratic Rep. Dina Titus, whose district includes the Las Vegas Strip, both pushed for changes to the program months before the Oct. 1 shooting on the famous Las Vegas Strip.

After the attack, Heller’s office said he spoke to President Donald Trump about the program.

Still, Trump proposed cutting the program in his budget request earlier this year. It was the third straight White House to say that the spending cuts were justified because some of the grant money was unused.

The members of Congress instead poured another $25 million to the program, the obtaining of financing for $630 million.

The central Florida region plans to use the grant money for the counter-terrorism center, tactical first-aid-kit for mass casualties and bomb squad equipment.

The Las Vegas is destined for the bomb squads, hazardous material teams, and a counter terrorism center.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular