nearvideo house votes to hold Attorney General William Barr, Secretary Wilbur Ross in contempt of Congress
House lawmakers accused attorney General Barr and Minister for trade Ross Congress with information about the citizenship of the question for the census; the reaction and the analysis from the ‘Special Report’ All-Stars.
The Ministry of justice has refused to prosecute Attorney General William Barr, Minister for trade and Wilbur Ross for the alleged blockade policy of the Congress probes in the Trump administration, the efforts of a citizenship question on the census 2020, the Agency said on Wednesday.
The house last week voted mostly along party lines, to keep 230-198 Barr and Ross in criminal contempt of Congress for defying Congress’s subpoenas, in a largely symbolic efforts. House Democrats were in search of information on Trump ‘ s efforts to assess the controversial issue.
Trump claimed executive privilege, and the said Barr and Ross not to release certain documents in response to the subpoena from the House Oversight and Reform Committee.
BOOKER LAW DRAFT ON THE RESTRICTION OF THE USE OF CENSUS CITIZENSHIP QUESTION
President Trump, joined by trade Minister Wilbur Ross, left, and Minister of justice, William Barr, speaks during an event about the census in the Rose Garden this month. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster)
“The Department of Justice is the long-standing position that we will not the prosecution of an official for contempt of Congress for refusal to provide information will be subject to a presidential assertion of executive privilege”,” Deputy attorney General Jeffrey Rosen said in a Wednesday letter to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
Democrats of the Trump management of lies tossed about the origin of the citizenship in question. Critics of the issue have suggested, it was immigrants to deter participation in the census, the numbers of the population, to determine legislative representation.
Neither Pelosi nor House Oversight and Reform Committee chairman Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Md., immediately responded to Fox News for comment on Wednesday.
Rosen said the DOJ has the same position over several administrations. He cited a 2008 case in which the Agency refused to prosecute Joshua Bolten and Harriet Miers, two high-ranking Bush administration officials who refused to testify in front of a panel of inquiry into the dismissal of several U.S. attorneys.
TRUMP NO MORE, EXPLAINS, THE PUSH FOR CENSUS CITIZENSHIP QUESTION, CALLED THE REPORTS “FAKE”
Bush directed Bolten, the White house chief of staff, and Miers, White House counsel, not to release certain documents or specific information related to a congressional subpoena.
The Department took a similar position in the year 2012, when former President Barack Obama, Attorney General Eric Holder directed to refuse certain documents in relation to the government weapons smuggling project, called Operation Fast and Furious.
In accordance with the policy, the Department of the responses from Barr and Ross not intended to represent the subpoenas “a crime,” Rosen said.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
The Supreme Court last month blocked the Commerce Department from the addition of the citizenship in question.
Trump said earlier this month he would issue an executive order to have an accurate count of the non-EU citizens and citizens of the United States