Our small country can tonight a special place in the history books occupy.
If the Red Devils tonight in St.-Petersburg France beat, then adds, Belgium is in a select club of countries that were once a world cup final played. Only twelve countries reached ever the final battle on a world Cup and, since the introduction of the eighth-finals in the knock-out stages at the world cup 1986 in Mexico, there are even seven: Brazil, (West)Germany, Italy, Argentina, Spain, France and the Netherlands.
Our neighbors are the only ones of seven who has never had a finals win, they lost in 1974 West Germany, 1978 in Argentina and in 2010 to Spain. Germany, in Russia eliminated in the group stage, played the most finals: eight, of which four won. Recordkampioen Brazil won five of his seven finals.
France for the third time ever the world cup final reach, after 1998 in their own country (victory against Brazil) and 2006 in Germany (a loss against Italy).
Also in the other semifinal Croatia, provided that profit against England Wednesday night, for the first time in its existence the world cup final. England already played once in the final and won that also, in 1966 in their own country, but that was so before the introduction of the eighth-finals.
Martinez: ‘Henry was the last missing puzzle piece’
De Bruyne: ‘Hopefully plays Mbappé not his best match
French national coach and goalkeeper waving Red Devils praise
The red Devils have almost twice as much experience as Les Bleus
Football world cup 2018 in Russia
- The world cup final: Belgium may join a select club of countries add
- Not unique: two countries in group stage and finals against each other
- UEFA president: “Success of European countries at the world CHAMPIONSHIPS is no surprise’
- Still the Red Devils on a big screen in Gent
- Roberto Martinez: ‘Thierry Henry was the last missing puzzle piece’
- Read all articles about world cup 2018 in Russia