News

The woman’s skin was burning from the inside and the outside after the dosing error, lawsuit claims

A Georgia woman who for three years in a painful recovery continues after claiming them the wrong dosage of a medication that caused her body to burn from the inside to the outside. Khaliah Shaw, 26, spent three weeks in a medical coma, while her skin slowly peeled off and wants to ensure that other patients are protected against the pharmaceutical errors, 11Alive.com reported.

“This had to happen,” Shaw, who lives in Snellville, about 30 miles northeast of Atlanta, told 11Alive.com. “This was not just some kind of fluke in my opinion. This happened as a direct (sic) the consequence of someone a mistake.”

CUB SCOUT SAVES CHOKING MOTHER A MONTH AFTER DAD’S TRAGIC DEATH

In 2014, Shaw told her doctors she felt depressed and got a prescription for Lamictal, an anti-epileptic medication sometimes used to treat bipolar disorders, the Tech Times reported. The prescription drug also is sometimes used for the treatment of bipolar disorder.

Shaw took the medication for two weeks before they started to break in the blisters. Shaw told the news outlet that her body felt as if it “was on fire.”

Eventually, doctors diagnosed her with Stevens Johnson Syndrome, a rare skin disorder, which is usually caused by an allergic reaction to the medication, 11Alive.com reported.

“It essentially causes your body to burn from the inside to the outside, and you pretty much just melt,” she told 11Alive.com.

NFL GREAT NICK BUONICONTI DIAGNOSED WITH DEMENTIA: “I WOULD HAVE PLAYED NO ROLE’

The Palm Beach Post reported that others are also suing pharmaceutical company GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) for the promotion of Lamictal without advertising are the risks fully. In July 2012, the pharmaceutical company pled guilty to criminal negligence charges for allegations of fraud and failure to report product safety data for the drug, the newspaper reported. GSK paid $3 billion in total.

For Shaw, the young woman has come to resemble a burn victim. She lost her fingernails, and sweat and sebaceous glands, and she is slowly going blind, 11Alive.com reported.

“They tell me that this could happen, and they tell me if it did happen again, that it would be worse,” Shaw told the news outlet.

The lawsuit claims her medical bills total up to $3.45 million and is expected to continue to grow as they are still in treatment.

‘I MADE IT’: THE STUDENT WITH DOWN SYNDROME LEARNS HE IS ACCEPTED TO COLLEGE

“I’ve never heard of Steven Johnson Syndrome, until I was in the hospital with my skin melting off my body. That’s when I learned what it was,” she told the news outlet.

Shaw ‘ s lawyer told 11Alive.com that alleged errors by pharmacists continue to “happen at an alarming rate,” because the staff are too rushed and too busy.

In the telling of her story, Shaw wants to raise awareness about the dangers of prescription medication errors.

“It is difficult being in the spotlight, but I think it is worth the effort as it means that someone more knowledge about the medication they take,” Shaw told The Palm Beach Post.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular