FILE PHOTO: The logo of French car manufacturer Renault is seen at a dealership of the company in Bordeaux, France, on the 12th of June, 2019 at the latest. REUTERS/Regis Duvignau
PARIS (Reuters) – Fiat-Chrysler’s $35-billion merger offer for the Car, which was abandoned in June, it was no longer on the table, with the French car manufacturer’s President, Jean-Dominique Senard said on Tuesday.
“This matter is behind us and today is the day,” Senard told a hearing of the French senate, following the example of similar comments made by Renault’s CEO, mr. Thierry Bollore, earlier in September.
Senard said that the fusion project would have benefited greatly from the vehicle in an alliance with the japanese Nissan, which gives it a more global dimension to it, but it was not to be a likely scenario.
“The thing that is not on the table today. If the project team had to come back one day, on the terms and conditions that are acceptable to all the parties involved, I would be happy. But it’s not working,” he said.
Reporting by Gilles Guillaume; Writing by Sarah White; Editing by GV De Clercq