The police release 911 calls University of Utah student done days before he was murdered by ex-boyfriend

connectVideoPolice release audio of the 911 calls by Lauren McCluskey in the days prior to her murder

Salt Lake City police have released the 911 calls of a University of Utah student made, just a few days before she was shot to death by her ex-boyfriend.

Weeks before Lauren McCluskey, 21, died, she broke up with Melvin Rowland, 37, after the discovery that he had lied to her about his age and is a registered sex offender, University police chief Dale Brophy told reporters in October.

The student called the police dispatch on Oct. 13 to let them know that she was being blackmailed, FOX 13 reported.

“Hi, I was blackmailed for money with threats to send…,” McCluskey told the coordinator. Police are not releasing a part of the conversation when the student pointed to the threats.


She told the coordinator she reported the threats to the University of Utah police, but was not sure if there is an update.

“I was just concerned because I wasn’t sure how long they were planning to take to file the arrest,” she told the dispatcher.

The 21-year-old student spoke to the university police to say that they are “threatened with compromising photos.”

On Oct. 19, McCluskey 911 to ask for an update. The dispatcher asked if she spoke to university police, but the student, growing frustrated, said that she heard nothing.

“They have not updated or done anything. So is the case, it’s extortion,” McCluskey said. “I haven’t gotten updates and it’s been a week.”

The coordinator told McCluskey to contact the campus police detective who is assigned to the case. University of Utah police opened a case in the threats a day after her second call to dispatchers, the Salt Lake Tribune reported.

The last recording took place on Oct. 22 when Matt McCluskey, the student, the father, the so-called says his daughter was missing.

“She [Lauren] was kidnapped while we were talking to her on the phone, so we heard her attacked, and we called the University of Utah campus police,” Matt McCluskey told the coordinator.


The coordinator told the father that the officials were aware of the situation.

The police said that they were “not directly linked” with Salt Lake City 911 dispatch, Fox13 noted.

Not too long later, McCluskey was found shot to death. The suspect in her murder, Rowland, was found dead, that same evening of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the inside of a Salt Lake City in the church.

Fox News’ Samuel Chamberlain contributed to this report.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular