News

The Pentagon expects to return Huawei to the limitations the source

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The Pentagon is likely to become the new U.S. restrictions on Huawei and the reversal of previous opposition to a proposal that is meant to further crack down on the export of the “black” list of Chinese companies, a person briefed on the matter told Reuters on Wednesday.

FILE (PHOTO: FILE PHOTO: a Huawei logo is seen on a communication device in London, united Kingdom, January 28, 2020. REUTERS/Toby Melville

In the reverse, it would make it more difficult for AMERICAN companies to ensure the effective prohibition of exports, to Huawei, as the world’s second-largest smartphone maker.

The Minister of trade, Wilbur Ross, was recently named Secretary of Defense Mark Esper in order to discuss the problem and to make an appointment, it is expected next week, the source said. At a higher level, a meeting will be held on Feb. 28, when the U.S. government will also discuss further measures to control technology exports to China and Huawei.

The Commerce Department said Wednesday, is that it “continually reviews and updates to export controls, in order to meet the challenges of accelerating the diffusion of technology and innovation.”

The department added that the scope of the current de minimis threshold for the monitored items, as well as the foreign direct product rule, a listed entity, are the controls subject to review.”

In politics, for the first time in the Pentagon, and is likely to result in the reversal of previously, citing people familiar with the internal discussions.

The Ministry of Defence did not respond to requests for comment.

The Trumpet of the administration, added Huawei to be an economic black list ” in May of last year, citing national security concerns.

In a “black list” drawn up by the company, for the united states government had said it was a “reasonable basis to conclude that Huawei was engaged in activities that are contrary to U.S. national security and foreign policy interests.”

Huawei, the allegations have repeatedly been denied.

Reuters reported in November that the United States should expand its power to stop foreign shipments of products containing U.S. technology to the Smartphone. This may have led the authorities to arrange for the disposal of non-sensitive items, in order to Ascend, such as a standard mobile phone chips are made in foreign countries with U.S.-origin technology, software or other items.

As for the U.S., export control rules have been reviewed, the trade lawyer Doug Jacobson said it could lead to a loss of sales by U.S. companies.

“But at the end of the day it will not be the limit of the Smartphone’s ability to produce goods in China for the supply of their customers,” said Jacobson.

Reports David Shepardson in Washington, and Karen Freifeld in New York, New York, Rama Venkat, Bengaluru; Editing by Sonya Hepinstall and Tom Brown

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular