MADRID/PARIS/BERLIN (Reuters) – the Organizers of the Mobile World Congress (mobile world CONGRESS) will decide on Wednesday whether to cancel the event, two of the sources said, after a number of major European telecom operators, attracted by the corona virus outbreak.
Banners with the information of the MWC20 (Mobile World Congress) have been shown in Barcelona, Spain, February 10, 2020. REUTERS/Nacho Doce
Deutsche Telekom (DTEGn.DE), Orange (ORAN.PA), and BT (BT.(L) household in the event that, together with the Finnish network-equipment maker Nokia NOKIA.HE was, according to the sources, the official declarations of the abandonment of the Barcelona event, a number of the major lenders.
The GSMA industry association, is organizing the conference was due to hold a virtual meeting of the board of directors, made up of 25 industry bosses at 1300 GMT to discuss the options, according to three people with knowledge of the matter.
“They will have to cancel it,” said one source with one test, has decided to pull out.
The telecom industry’s largest get together, is scheduled for release in February. 24-27, attracts more than 100,000 visitors to Barcelona. The GSMA’s own estimate, it will give a lift of about half-a-billion dollars to the local economy.
The GSMA has been quiet for a while since, say, last Sunday, is scheduled to go ahead with the event as well as the strengthening of the health precautions to guard against the corona virus that has killed more than 1,000 people in China since the beginning of last month.
A source close to the organization said it was preparing a statement.
In Barcelona, the city authorities and the Spanish government has repeatedly said that it would be safe for the passengers to attend to. The corona virus has caused deaths in approximately 2% of the reported cases of pneumonia or multi-organ failure.
It fails, however, to alleviate concerns among the other exhibitors that the precautionary measures would be insufficient to stop the virus, which has spread beyond China’s borders to the two dozen or so countries.
In a statement, Nokia said, and she believed that it was a “smart decision” to cancel their participation.
“Nokia’s plan is to go direct to customers, with a wide range of Nokia, and Live events focusing on the presentation of the leading-edge demos, and a launch planned for mobile world CONGRESS,” the Finnish company said in a statement that the alternative plan.
MOBILE CHINA CONFERENCE?
Major Chinese exhibitors, the lead of the event, they had to live, and the type of risk to personnel is to isolate and draw up a replacement from somewhere else to the staff, event, and network with our clients.
The GSMA had prohibited the participants from China’s Hubei province, where the corona virus outbreak began, and the need for others to prove that they are out of the country for a period of at least two weeks prior to the event.
Corona virus appeared to be infectious, even for people who have been caught are asymptomatic, which means that the people attending the CONGRESS may not even be aware that they could infect others, they will be there to meet you.
To the knowledge of the meeting and moves to the other side of the Volcano and the market garden, and the city of Barcelona: a person who tests positive would have to be a daunting task.
In China, the total infection contact 44,653, health officials said, including the 2,015 new confirmed cases. The number of deaths on the continent has increased by 97 to 1,113 by the end of the week.
Written by Douglas Busvine; Additional reporting by Supantha Mukherjee, Tarmo Virki, John Faus, and Can Sezer; editing by Keith Weir and Elaine Hardcastle