The mother of the 21-month-old Oregon girl who died after left in hot car threatened suicide, says lawyer

Nicole Engler, 38, is charged with second-degree murder.

(Roseburg Police)

A mother in Roseburg, Oregon, begged the prison guards to let her commit suicide after she was arrested and charged with second-degree murder in connection with the death of her 21-month-old daughter, her lawyer said.

Remington Engler died after her mother, Nicole Engler, left her in a hot car for about eight hours the last week, when the temperatures reached nearly 80 degrees, the Oregonian reported.

Engler found Remington “blue and unconscious” around 4:30 pm on the parking lot outside the Evergreen Family Medicine, where she works as a nurse practitioner on June 21.

A hot car, a dead child: Oregon mom’s lawyer explains how it happened

— The Oregonian (@Oregonian) June 29, 2018

The mother frantically ran into her daughter at Evergreen Family Medicine, where the staff tried to revive the child. It failed, and the young girl rushed to Mercy Medical Center where she later died.

Engler was then taken into custody by the authorities with the Roseburg Police Department. While in prison, the mother is “the pulling of the hair in the middle of the woods and begs for her own life, her lawyer, David Terry, told the Oregonian.

The incident began on the morning of 21 June. Engler’s husband, Peter, usually took Remington to the creche. But the emergency room technology shift had ended just a few hours before the young girl had to be disposed of, which Engler let her husband sleep and take Remington to the creche itself.

Lost in thoughts, however, that the mother is never in day care — drive directly to her work in the place, arrival around 8 pm

That afternoon she drove to a local café and then back to work. It was not until she was leaving for the day that she found her daughter unconscious in the Honda CRV.

“It was one of the saddest moments in my 40-year career,” Terry said, referring to the moment he saw Peter “hysterically sobbing” over his daughter’s body in the medical centre. The police also drove Engler to the medical center, where Terry said: “he sat with her while she is the light of her life.”

A day later, on June 22, Engler was released from the Douglas County jail on a $50,000 bond. They are expected in court in August, according to jail records. But Terry told the newspaper that he was the press officers of justice to have the charges against the mother, as Remington’s death was recently ruled an accident by the Douglas County Medical Examiner.

“This is not about a heartless mother who does the unthinkable,” Terry said.

Prosecutor Richard Wesenberg declined to comment on the case when contacted by the Oregonian, but said in a statement that “all available evidence” is considered.

Madeline Farber is a Reporter for Fox News. You can follow her on Twitter @MaddieFarberUDK.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular