News

The Latest: Trial beginning for the officer who killed motorist

MINNEAPOLIS – The Latest on the trial of a Minnesota officer accused of manslaughter in the fatal shooting of the driver (all times are local):

7:30 pm

Jury selection is set to begin in the trial of a policeman accused of fatally shooting a black motorist, a death to national attention when the wake was streamed live on Facebook.

The selection process begins Tuesday, is expected to last for at least a few days. St. Anthony Officer Jeronimo Yanez is on trial for second-degree murder in the death of Philando Castile during a traffic stop in the St. Paul suburb of Falcon Heights in July last year.

Prosecutors say Yanez shot Castile, a 32-year-old elementary school cafeteria employee, after Castile told him that he was armed. The authorities later found that Castile had a permit to carry.

Yanez, who is Latino, is also charged with two counts of endangering the safety because girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds and her young daughter in the car.

____

12:08 pm

The graphic video shows Philando Castile, the last moments of his life after he was shot by a Minnesota police officer made the headlines almost a year ago and led to calls for changes in policing.

But the patrol car video could emerge as key evidence in the case against St. Anthony police officer Jeronimo Yanez, who goes on trial for murder this week. Jury selection begins Tuesday.

Castile, who was black, died on July 6, during a traffic stop in the St. Paul suburb of Falcon Heights. His death received direct attention during the recording of the gruesome aftermath was streamed live on Facebook by Castile’s girlfriend, who was in the car along with her young daughter.

Prosecutors say Yanez, who is Hispanic, shot the 32-year-old Castile after Castile told him that he was armed. The authorities later found that Castile had a permit to carry.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular