MONTECITO, California. – The Latest on the California mudslide disaster (all times are local):
A well-known local real estate agent has been designated as one of the 17 people killed after floods and mudslides tore through a Southern California neighborhood.
Rebecca Riskin, the founder of Riskin ners, was killed when mudslides ripped through Montecito. Her company confirms that her death in a statement published on Wednesday evening on Facebook.
The statement says Riskin ‘an exceptional woman” who had exuded power, grace and elegance.
Officials said Thursday morning that eight people remained missing after Tuesday’s storm.
Southern California authorities a correction of the number of people missing since the Montecito mudslides to eight.
The correction follows early on a Thursday, an update that increased the number to 48, but the incident management team then issued retraction saying there had been an administrative error.
The number of confirmed deaths remains at 17.
The number of people missing after deadly mudslides in Montecito, California, has surged to 48.
Santa Barbara County spokeswoman Amber Anderson says the new number is counted Thursday follows the sheriff of the investigation of the missing-persons reports.
The number of missing persons has fluctuated since the disaster struck early Tuesday morning and had been as low as 16 on Wednesday night.
Anderson says the number of confirmed deaths remains at 17.
The deadly mudslides that hit Montecito, California, were all created during the Santa Barbara County officials first sent urgent alerts to mobile phones in the area.
County emergency manager Jeff Gater tells the Los Angeles Times that the warning was issued around 3:50 pm, Tuesday, was sent, because of the deteriorating conditions and followed issued by the National Weather Service.
For days in advance, the county had issued repeated warnings by means of social media, news, media, and community information e-mails about the potential for mudflows of the huge wildfire scar in the hills above districts.
Gater tells the Times, more than 200,000 e-mails and other warnings were issued, but the province has decided not to make use of the push-alert system to mobile phones out of concern that it might not be taken seriously.
Authorities also say that only a small percentage of residents responded to the mandatory and voluntary evacuation warnings.
Hundreds of researchers are still hunting for survivors of the floods and mudslides in the vicinity of Santa Barbara, California.
They slogged through the mud and poked long holes in the mud on Wednesday, when they searched for victims a day after the massive debris flow passed.
The death toll from Tuesday’s pre-dawn flash flood rose to 17 as more bodies were found. Another 17 were still missing.
The authorities hoped to find in life.
Wednesday, some 500 searchers had covered about 75 percent of the flooded area in the search for victims.