News

The Latest: Protesters again block Sacramento NBA arena

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – The Latest on the shooting of an unarmed black man by Sacramento police (all times are local):

7:20 pm

Protesters again blocked fans from entering the NBA arena as the Sacramento King’s game began.

They gathered to protest against the March 18 killing of Stephon Clark by Sacramento police. It is the second protest to block out the Sacramento King arena since then.

Protesters stood in front of the doors from different sides of the arena, and some reviled to wait to enter.

The team that the game against the Dallas Mavericks tipped off just a few minutes after the scheduled time. The 17,600-seat arena was sparsely populated.

A few blocks away, a city council meeting was packed with residents to discuss the shooting. Clark’s brother, Stevante Clark, disrupted the meeting when it began.

__

6:40 pm

The brother of an unarmed black man killed by Sacramento police interrupted the Sacramento city council meeting by jumping on the desk in front of the mayor and the chanting of his brother Stephon Clark’s name.

Stevante Clark marched the Tuesday meeting, jumped on stage and danced around.

He demanded to speak to and said he did not think the council would be significant changes as a result of the death of his brother.

The council adjourned for about 15 minutes as a result of the disturbance.

Twenty-two-year-old Stephon Clark was fatally shot by police March 18, in the backyard of his grandmother. Officials said that they initially thought he had a gun. He was holding a mobile phone.

__

4:15 pm

The family of an unarmed black man killed by Sacramento police, is skeptical that there is a solid research — even with the attorney general involved.

The office announced Tuesday that it has joined the investigation into the last week of the fatal shooting of the 22-year-old Stephon Clark.

The police chief says that he hopes that the attorney-general’s involvement brings faith and transparency to the case which led to angry protests.

Clark’s uncle, Curtis Gordon, says the family will wait to see what the results are. He says that the talk at this point.

The police had to respond to a call of someone breaking car windows.

Activists have sought a greater independence in the research, with some calling for criminal charges against the two agents.

___

9:50 pm

The California attorney general’s office is a member of an investigation into the fatal shooting of an unarmed black man by Sacramento police, independent monitoring.

Sacramento police chief Daniel Hahn announced the partnership Tuesday in addition to the Attorney-General Xavier Becerra (HAH-vee-air Bah-what’-ah). He says that he hopes that it will build “trust and confidence in the research.

The police are investigating the shooting death of the 22-year-old Stephon Clark on March 18, by two officers, who thought he had a gun. He kept only a mobile phone.

The police had to respond to a call of someone breaking car windows.

Activists have called for a greater degree of independence in research, and some have argued that the two officers should be charged.

Hahn promised transparency in the investigation and urged the protesters to exercise calm.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular