LOS ANGELES – The Latest on California storms (all times are local):
A new round of heavy rain is coming ashore on the central coast of California, where thousands of people have been evacuated due to risk of debris flows from wildfire burn areas.
After a night with the silence, the storm back before dawn on Thursday in what the National Weather Service says, will be heavier rainfall.
So far, there is no repetition of the massive and deadly debris flows that struck the Santa Barbara County community of Montecito in January, but forecasters say the threat remains.
Stormy weather has also spread throughout the country, including the Sierra Nevada, where heavy snow is making travel difficult.
Localized flooding is possible in the central California interior and in the provinces north of the Bay of San Francisco.
Although the first wave of a worrisome Pacific storm still major problems in California, forecasters say that the worst is yet to come, leaving the authorities and the disaster-weary residents on edge.
Record rain fell in parts of Southern California have been evacuated by thousands about the threat of debris flows and mudslides from a wildfire-burn areas.
Although there are no large debris flows as feared, forecasters warned that a disaster is still very well possible, if the rain increases on Thursday.
The National Weather Service meteorologist Joe Sirard said officials hope that the residents do not think that this is a “cry wolf scenario.”
The authorities were closely in Santa Barbara County, in the hope there would not be a repetition of the massive January dirt flows of a burn scar that ravaged the community of Montecito and killed 21.