SAN FRANCISCO – The Latest on San Francisco pier shooting charges (all local times):
The federal authorities have charged a Mexican man with new immigration and gun violations in less than a week after a San Francisco jury acquitted him of murder for the shooting death of Kate Steinle.
Jose Ines Garcia Zarate was charged Tuesday with two gun charges. A San Francisco jury convicted him of a state of charge of a felon in possession of a firearm after acquitting him of murder and assault for 1 July 2015 shoot.
The state conviction carries a sentence of up to three years in prison. He is in jail since the day of the shooting.
His public defender Matt Gonzalez said Garcia Zarate is asking a judge to throw out the state conviction.
San Francisco district attorney, is defending the handling of a murder trial that ended with the acquittal of a Mexican man whose arrest a fierce debate on immigration.
Public prosecutor George Gascon said Tuesday that he still believes Jose Ines Garcia Zarate should have been convicted for murder in 2015 the death of Kate Steinle.
A jury rejected that last week sentenced Garcia Zarate only of a felon in possession of a gun.
Legal experts say prosecutors overreached by asking for a first degree murder conviction because the fatal shot ricocheted off of the ground, the support of Garcia Zarate the defense that the shooting was an accident.
Gascon also called President Trump “crazy” for a series of tweets deriding the decision.