CLEVELAND – The Latest on the release of the names of the abusive priests (all times are local):
Another Roman Catholic diocese in Ohio plans to make public the names of priests accused of sexual abuse.
The Catholic Diocese of Columbus said on Wednesday that it intends to release a list within the next few months will be priests who are already on a credible accusation of abuse, both alive or dead.
The diocese says in a statement that the diocese understands it is an important step to restore confidence in the church and the clergy.
The announcement comes as the Steubenville diocese said this week that the disclosure of the names of sexual abuse by priests to the end of October.
Three of Ohio’s six dioceses are now saying they are bringing new listings in the wake of the Pennsylvania grand jury report stated that more than 300 clerics.
A second Roman Catholic diocese in Ohio says the release of a list of priests accused of sexual abuse and misconduct in the wake of the Pennsylvania grand jury report that the name of more than 300 clergy, and detailed their abuse.
A spokesman of the Steubenville diocese in the southeastern part of Ohio has told The Associated Press that the release of a list by the end of October.
Steubenville diocese spokesman of the Dino Orsatti says Bishop Jeffrey Monforton want the names of abusive priests be made public in the interest of transparency and accountability. He estimated the list will be between 12 and 20 names after the diocesan review.
The Diocese of Youngstown announced earlier this month that it would be the release of the list of abusing priests sometime in the next few weeks.