Matthijs de ligt is on Monday declared the winner of the Golden Boy Award. The Ajax defender is only the second Dutchman ever to the price for the biggest talent in Europe (up to 21 years) in the wait drag.
The nineteen-year-old The Is got preferred to his former team-mate at Ajax Justin Kluivert (AS Roma), Patrick Cutrone (AC Milan), Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool) and Vinicius Junior (Real Madrid).
The winner was determined by a group of thirty journalists from twenty different European countries, which in their assessment looked at the performance in the calendar year 2018. Each reporter had five votes (ten points, seven points, five points, three points and one point) to give away.
The Italian newspaper Tuttosport reaches the Golden Boy Award since 2003, and Rafael van der Vaart if, at the time, the first winner. Then managed not a single English talent we have in the price to its hall of fame to add.
Last year was the Golden Boy Award to Kylian Mbappé. The attacker of Paris Saint-Germain was this year until the last twenty nominees, but survived the last riders are not.
Stormy development The Is located in Ajax
The Is has the Golden Boy Award thanks to his strong development at Ajax. The jeugdexponent of the Locals has since last season has a fixed starting and wears now the aanvoerdersband.
Through his strong form at Ajax, The Is is also assured of a permanent place in the Dutch national team. The dertienvoudig international, which in march 2017 already debuted in Orange, under coach Ronald Koeman a defensive center with Virgil van Dijk.
With Ajax he makes this season so far an excellent season. The team of trainer Erik ten Hag qualified for the eighth finals of the Champions League, and occupies currently the second place in the Eredivisie, with a lag of two points on leader PSV.
The Is, that still until mid-2021 is under contract at Ajax, came this season in the top match against PSV (3-0 loss) and the Champions League match with AEK Athens (3-0 win) in all competitions in action.
All winners Golden Boy Award
- 2003 – Rafael van der Vaart (Ajax)
- 2004 – Wayne Rooney (Everton/Manchester United)
- 2005 – Lionel Messi (FC Barcelona)
- 2006 – The Fàbregas (Arsenal)
- 2007 – Sergio Aguero (Atletico Madrid)
- 2008 – Anderson (Manchester United)
- 2009 – Alexandre Pato (AC Milan)
- 2010 – Mario Champions (Internazionale/Manchester City)
- 2011 – Mario Götze (Borussia Dortmund)
- 2012 – Isco (Málaga)
- 2013 – Paul Pogba (Juventus)
- 2014 – Raheem Sterling (Liverpool)
- 2015 – Anthony Martial (AS Monaco-Manchester United)
- 2016 – Renato Sanches (Benfica/Bayern Munich)
- 2017 – Kylian Mbappé (AS Monaco/Paris Saint-Germain)
- 2018 – Matthijs de ligt