The convicted killer still on the run after prison escape

PORTLAND, Maine – law enforcement authorities continue their dayslong search Monday for a convicted killer who escaped for a third time from the prison in Maine, on the flight for a minimal security device was little more than a year before his release date.

Corrections Commissioner Joseph Fitzpatrick floated the theory that the 65-year-old Arnold Nash had spent a large part of his life in jail and may not want to leave. He said corrections officials monitor visits and interviewing of persons that Nash may have contacted in the past.

“I would really like the public to know that we do consider Mr. Nash is dangerous,” Fitzpatrick said.

Nash was a 45-year prison sentence for the killing of his ex-neighbor in the North of Sullivan. He was due to be released in December 2019, after serving 26 years.

Nash was last seen on Thursday evening at the minimum security unit at the Mountain View Correctional Facility in Charleston. Nash was wearing a blue jeans and a light blue shirt.

He was in a fenced facility at the time of his escape Thursday, according to Fitzpatrick, who declined to share further details about Fitzpatrick’s escaped.

Fitzpatrick on Monday defended Nash place in a minimum-security, and said, research shows that prisoners with long sentences are needed to help with the rehabilitation and integration before it is released. Nash had spent six months at the Charleston facility and spent the six months prior to the now-shuttered minimum security Downeast Correctional Facility in Jonesport, according to Fitzpatrick.

“I can tell you that Mr. Nash would be more of a risk to the community had we kept him in a secure facility until his last day,” Fitzpatrick said.

Fitzpatrick said that Nash had some minor disciplinary offences and that it does not appear Nash escape by poor supervision.

“He was not too difficult to manage in the time we had him,” Fitzpatrick said.

Nash escapes from the Maine Correctional Center in Windham, while that time for larceny in 1973.

He escaped again in 1981 in the hope of reaching Canada during the work on the farm in the Maine State Prison in Thomaston. A 22-day long manhunt ended when officials found Nash and another man camped in the forest, and game warden John Ford said that the two men at a given moment, held him at gunpoint.

Ford told WABI-TV that he questions why Nash was recently held at the minimum security facility.

Fitzpatrick says there are no confirmed sightings of Nash.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular