Arnold Nash, 65, was found on Tuesday after escaping from a minimum-security prison in Maine last week, the officials said.
A convicted killer who escaped from a Maine prison last week — his third escape — was captured Tuesday, the officials said, adding that he may have done so to get more prison time.
Arnold Nash, 65, who had escaped from the Mountain View Correctional facility (minimum security prison) in Charleston, last Thursday, was found along Route 15 in Dover-Foxcroft, about 75 miles north of Augusta, Maine, WMTW-TV reported. Charleston is located approximately 12 miles southeast of Dover-Foxcroft.
An escaped murderer is back in custody after leaving a minimum-security facility and spend a few days on the run in the Central Maine: https://t.co/tRrlkTniFi pic.twitter.com/9FNy3hTXdA
— WPFO FOX23 (@FOX23Maine) September 18, 2018
It turned out Nash wanted to be caught, Maine Department of Corrections Commissioner Joseph Fitzpatrick told CentralMaine.com.
“Certainly, the way he walked along the lane, he didn’t seem to hide at the time that he was discovered,” Fitzpatrick said. “This is the best outcome we could have hoped for.”
Nash was found along the Route 15 in Dover-Foxcroft, approximately 75 kilometres north of Augusta.
(Maine Department of Corrections)
Nash, found dehydrated and exhausted, surrendered peacefully, ending a five-day manhunt, according to the report.
“Certainly, the way he walked along the lane, he didn’t seem to hide at the time that he was discovered. This is the best outcome we could have hoped for.”
Commissioner Joseph Fitzpatrick, Maine Department of Corrections
Sgt. Michael Gould of the Piscataquis County Sheriff’s Office took Nash into custody.
Gould reportedly told WGME-TV that Nash said that he wanted to escape because he wanted more prison time added to his sentence.
Fitzpatrick said Monday that “it was possible” that Nash committed the crime of escape, to avoid, is released from prison, “the only home he’s known for decades,” said CentralMaine.com
Fitpatrick said Nash will be charged with a new crime to escape, “that would in all likelihood lead to new prison sentence,” the report said. The commissioner said that he authorized an internal review to ensure that Nash would be good to be assessed for its transition to a less secure facility.
THE CONVICTED KILLER ESCAPED FROM MAINE, THE PRISON; HAD 2 PREVIOUS ESCAPES, OFFICIALS SAY
Nash, convicted in 1992, was serving a 45-year sentence for the 1991 murder and robbery of his neighbor, Wilfred Gibeault, 58, a disabled Korean war veteran, the Portland Press Herald reported.
He was scheduled to be released Dec. 14 this year, some 18 years before the end of his original sentence, the paper reported, quoting a Maine Department of Corrections new release.
Nash showed no signs of violence or aggression during his most recent imprisonment, and had two minor violations in 26 years CentralMaine.com reported.
In 1981, Nash escaped from the Maine State Prison, where he was serving time for a burglary, the Bangor Daily News reported.
In 1973, when Nash was 19, he escaped from the Maine Correctional Center in Windham, while serving time for larceny, the Herald reported.
Amy’s Place is a news editor and reporter for Fox News.