Texas woman whose child is missing had a son who was killed

DALLAS – A woman who lives in a Texas home where the body of a young child was found, buried in the garden of the flower had a son, who was fatally beaten more than a decade ago, officials said Monday.

Virginia Ann Adams, 35, was being held at the Brazos County jail on charges of interfering with the custody of a child. The police in Bryan said that she was uncooperative when questioned about the whereabouts of her 3-year-old daughter, Rayven Shields, who was last seen in June.

State Child Protective Services on Wednesday served an order that custody of Rayven, according to Bryan police Sgt. Ryan Bona. Social workers also tried to find the girl, earlier in the summer, but were not successful.

At one point during the conversation with the authorities, Adams reported to know of the whereabouts of the child and said the girl was safe, according to a probable cause statement.

Adams was on Wednesday arrested and the body was found two days later. The authorities have not yet identified the remains.

She remains jailed on a $75,000 bond. Online jail records do not indicate whether she has an attorney.

Researchers are awaiting confirmation of the identity of the remains, Bona said Monday, while looking for additional information about the case and giving first-responders who discovered the decomposed body the time to mourn.

“In our opinion one time is too many,” Bona said of the discovery. “Fortunately, we are not to deal with this too often, but it still hits close to home when it’s going well.”

David Barron, formerly attorney of Grimes, Leon and Madison county, was the defence lawyer in 2005 for Adams’ ex-husband, Timothy Lewis, when Lewis was convicted of capital murder and sentenced to life in prison for the death of adam’s son, 4-year-old Tyrone Fenner.

“It was our defensive theory that she was responsible for the death of Tyrone, and he took the fall for her,” Barron said Monday.

Both Lewis and Adams were with Tyrone at their College Station apartment in 2004 when the boy suffered serious injuries and a severe head wound and a trauma to the liver, kidneys and spleen. He died more than two weeks later, when he was removed from life support due to irreversible damage to the brain, according to a ruling of the court in 2007 rejected Lewis’ appeal.

The two had claimed Tyrone’s injuries were suffered when he fell of the toilet. CPS officials at the time said Adams, who never was charged, gave conflicting stories about what happened to the child. Lewis recognized with the use of drugs shortly after the boy was admitted to the hospital.

Barron argued in his appeal that Adams had involved himself by telling her mother-in-law at a time that Adams “hated kids” and “wished all the children were dead.”

Adams has at least two other children, apart from Tyrone, and Rayven.

Bona said that he was not familiar with the 2004 death and said that the scope of the current research is now only about the body found Friday.

“We have now an open murder investigation that we start,” he said.


Associated Press writer Ryan Tarinelli in Dallas contributed to this report.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular