A Texas woman claims that her dog died after eating sugar-free candy canes.
A young man in Texas reportedly died after eating sugar-free candy cane, which contains a substance called xylitol that is often deadly for dogs if ingested.
Woods resident Darla Martinez told 12 News of her 7-month-old Chihuahua-mix, ritz theater, came in a package of sugar-free candy canes which they bought last Thursday. The puppy somehow managed to snag them a table, while Martinez was in a different room.
TENNESSEE WOMAN WARNS PET OWNERS OF DANGEROUS SUBSTANCE IN THE CHEWING GUM AFTER THE DOG DIES
That night, ritz theater began to vomit and, at a given time, the following morning, was “laying in a pool of blood,” while in her kennel, 12 News reported.
On Friday morning, the Forest woman took the pup that was allegedly comatose at this point — to a vet in the area. There are vets informed Martinez that ritz theater was xylitol poisoning. She died shortly afterwards.
Xylitol is a sugar alcohol often used as a substitute for sugar. It is often found in sugarless chewing gum and breath mints, toothpaste, and in the store-bought baked goods, among other items, according to PetMD. The substance can be fatal for dogs if they are ingested, as the “ingestion of xylitol or xylitol-containing products causes a rapid release of the hormone insulin, causing a sudden decrease in the dog’s blood glucose,” PetMD reports. It is usually not harmful to humans.
Weakness, vomiting, seizures, tremor, diarrhea, and acute collapse, among other symptoms, are all signs of xylitol poisoning, according to Pet Health Network.
“Never in my wildest dreams did I think that this big, healthy, little girl would be the death of a candy cane,” Martinez told 12 News. “I was always worried about chocolate, but that is nothing compared to this.”
CAT GETS STUCK IN THE WASH GUY, LITERALLY NEEDS BUTTERING-UP TO GET
“In one way or another, I have the feeling that I failed her by leaving candy canes on the table,” she added.
Darla Martinez not immediately respond to Fox News’ request for comment on Tuesday.