A Tennessee family’s home caught fire after leaving the christmas lights on the whole night.
A Tennessee couple Christmas went up in flames this week when their holiday lights their house on fire.
“Thank God the smoke detectors went off,” homeowner Danielle Huckaby, of Columbia, told Fox 17 Nashville.
Huckaby told the station that she, her partner and a guest were sleeping when the fire started.
“It is the most frightening thing to wake up to a fire on your house,” Mary Morrison, Huckaby partner, told Fox 13 Memphis.
After they realized what was happening, Morrison hurried to the outside to control the fire, Fox 17 Nashville reported.
“Our guest, that was staying with us yelled,” Fire! Fire! ” and then grabbed the fire extinguisher,” Morrison told the late drive.
All the christmas lights were new, Morrison said.
“Our mistake was, leaving them on 24/7. We thought, because it was only a part of the light and not overload a wall outlet, we would be OK,” she told Fox 13.
“Our mistake was, leaving them on 24/7. We thought, because it was only a part of the light and not overload a wall outlet, we would be OK.”
– Mary Morrison, Columbia, Tenn., resident
Morrison told Fox 17 Nashville some safety tips she learned from her sparks-filled experience.
“Pull out the plug of the lights in the night and always have a fire extinguisher and make sure that they are up-to-date and change our batteries on your smoke detector,” she said.
Tony Scott, the Columbia Fire department’s assistant chief, told Fox 17 Nashville homeowners should also check for breaks in the wiring, and the “bulbs that are shot are replaced.”
“If you decorate in the garden, the grass is really dry where you put these lights?” Scott said. “Do you want to know, and also the type of the light. The LED light is not going to be as hot as a standard bulb.”
The couple told Fox 17 Nashville, they are happy that they are safe and still have their home.
“You always hear about, but don’t think this would happen,” she said.