News

Teen who died on a overnight school trip contracted toxic shock syndrome

A coroner’s report released this week confirmed that the teenager died of toxic shock syndrome.

A coroner’s report has confirmed that a Canadian teenager who died during a multi-day school trip had contracted toxic shock syndrome (TSS). Sara Manitoski, who was on a outdoor education trip on Hornby Island, near Vancouver Island, was found lifeless in bed in March 2017.

Her friends had assumed the 16-year-old was sleeping and left for breakfast without her, but when she returned her phone alarm went off and she was not responding. Paramedics and staff of the school, a vain attempt at RESUSCITATION.

PHOTO CAPTURES THE MOMENT A TODDLER LEG BROKE, WHILE ON THE SLIDE WITH MOMMY

Now, more than a year later, the BC Coroners Service confirmed a strain of the bacterium staphylococcus aureus in a tampon, as well as other symptoms consistent with TSS, were discovered, CTV News reported. TSS is a dangerous, sometimes fatal disease caused by bacterial toxins. It is especially associated with menstruating women who use super-absorbent tampons, but the infection can affect people of all ages, including men, children and women after the menopause.

Manitoski sister said she hopes that others take the time to inform themselves about safe tampon use.

“We know that there is an association,” Dee Hoyano, Island Health Medical officer, told CTV Vancouver Island. “Certainly, we know that a person need to this specific bacteria to get sick, and then there may be something with tampon use, perhaps long-term tampon use, which suggests that the risk is higher for the development of a more widespread infection.”

Manitoski’s sister, Carli Manitoski, took to Facebook to warn about the TSS in December.

MAN WITNESSES DAUGHTER’S MARRIAGE THE DAY BEFORE THE DEATH BY CANCER

“After 9 painful months, we finally got confirmation that my litter sister died of Toxic Shock Syndrome or (TSS). Women need more knowledge on this subject, some of you might not even know TSS is,” she wrote. “They say that getting TSS is incredibly rare, but I know two people who have it, with a hard to survive and my sister who died. Can it really be so rare? My sister complained of stomach cramps before going to bed and they never woke up.”

She said that her sister was healthy, and that others need to educate themselves about safe tampon use.

“There is so little education on this and this should be brought to light,” she posted. “Such an unnecessary and tragic thing to happen to such an amazing young lady. I would not want this to happen to anyone else and if this post makes even one person aware and start to search and inform themselves about TSS then I’m grateful.”

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular