Ramon Escobar, 47, was arrested Monday morning in connection to a series of brutal attacks against homeless men as the slept in downtown Los Angeles.
The authorities in Los Angeles on Monday said they have arrested a suspect in connection with a series of brutal attacks on sleeping homeless men in the city, which is still two dead and several more seriously injured.
Ramon Escobar, 47, was arrested after police said he attacked a homeless man in Santa Monica, the Los Angeles Times reported.
Escobar was booked on two murders and one count of attempted murder, the Times reported.
The victim in Monday’s attack was unconscious in a nearby hospital, authorities said. The motive behind the attack was not clear, and no weapon was found, the paper reported.
The paper previously reported that three homeless men were attacked while they slept in the centre of the city environment with a bat on Sept. 16. Two of the victims later succumbed to their injuries and a third victim was in critical condition in the hospital, authorities said.
The authorities are also investigating whether Escobar was involved in two attacks on homeless men in the area of the beach in Santa Monica, the paper reported.
Surveillance images was the key that leads to the arrest of Escobar, the papers report, citing unnamed law enforcement officials. Video reportedly showed the suspect rummaging through the pockets of the victims.
The police expect to have additional information on Tuesday.
Benjamin Brown is a reporter from Fox News. Follow him on Twitter @bdbrown473.