News

‘Star Wars’ actor Ahmed Best said that he considered suicide after Jar Jar Binks clearance

“Star Wars” actor Ahmed Best said that he considered suicide after Jar Jar Binks backlash.

(Instagram)

After the backlash from his role as Jar Jar Binks almost two decades ago, “Star Wars” actor Ahmed Best said that he once considered taking his life.

On Tuesday, Best opened on social media about the resentment that he had, and notes that “it is still difficult to talk about.”

“I’ve been thinking of doing a twenty-year #ThePhantomMenace solo show next year. I don’t talk much about my experience as a #jarjarbinks because much of it is very painful,” the 44-year-old actor captioned a photo of himself and his son.

He continued: “I was faced with a media-attention that still influence my career today. This was the place where I almost ended my life. It is still difficult to talk about. I have survived and now, this little man is my gift to survive. I’m ready to tell this story, but I’m curious to know if a show like this is something people want to see. Let me know. #depressionisreal #survivor #soninmyeyes #fathersonvacay.”

Best appeared as Jar Jar Binks in the “Star Wars” prequel “The Phantom Menace” in 1999. It was his first major role in a movie. In 2002, the Best reprised his role for the prequel, “Attack of the Clones”, and then again for 2005’s “Revenge of the Sith.”

Jar Jar Binks, created by George Lucas, was not well received by the fans of the original trilogy.

I’ve been thinking of doing a twenty-year #ThePhantomMenace solo show next year. I don’t talk much about my experience as a #jarjarbinks because a lot of it is very painful. I was faced with a media-attention that still influence my career today. This was the place where I almost ended my life. It is still difficult to talk about. I have survived and now, this little man is my gift to survive. I’m ready to tell this story, but I’m curious to know if a show like this is something people want to see. Let me know. #depressionisreal #survivor #soninmyeyes #fathersonvacay

A post shared by Ahmed Best (@bestahmed) on Jul 3, 2018 at 1:01 PDT

Last year, Best said he had received death threats via the internet.”

“I had people come to me and say, ‘You’ve destroyed my childhood.’ That’s difficult for a 25-year-old to hear,” said Best, who went on to explain how his “Star Wars” role ultimately affected his career.

“It’s really hard to articulate the feeling,” Best told the outlet. “You feel like a success and a failure at the exact same time. I peered to the end of my career before it started.”

Best also admitted in the interview that it caused “great pain” for him.

“There were a lot of tears, there was pain, there was a lot of s–t I had to deal with,” he said. “Everyone went on. Everyone worked. Everyone was accepted by the zeitgeist.”

“I have a lot of movies that I’m not 100 percent proud of it, just to pay the bills,” he added. “To be honest, in the absence of a and black his is very scary, because we do not have many chances, you know?”

“I didn’t have a chance after Jar Jar. No one said, ” You know, that didn’t work. But I believe in you, and you’re a good actor.’ I don’t have a chance yet. I’ve just hit. But as soon as I started my own thing, that’s when things took off.”

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular