‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi
If the “Star Wars” battle continues to both struggle and grow, Lucasfilm has made the surprising call to a new trilogy in the universe created by George Lucas in 1977.
Lucasfilm announced Thursday that the director Rain Johnson, who previously wrote and helmed “Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” will continue with the franchise through the development of a new trilogy of films. This is in addition to the Skywalker saga, that “The Last Jedi” marks the eighth in a projected nine episodes, and the stand-alone anthology of stories such as “Rogue” and “Solo.”
Johnson’s films will not continue the flagship story, but will instead introduce new characters from a corner of the milky way that has not previously been examined in the existing “Star Wars” lore. He will be joined for the new venture of long-time collaborator Ram Bergman as a producer.
“We found working with Rian on ‘The Last of the Jedi,'” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm stated in the announcement. “He is a creative force, and watching him craft The Last of the Jedi from start to finish was one of the biggest pleasures of my career. Rian will do amazing things with the blank canvas of this new trilogy.”
“We had the time of our lives together with Lucasfilm and Disney on The Last of the Jedi,” Johnson and Bergman said in a joint statement. “Star Wars is the greatest modern mythology, and we feel very happy to have contributed. We can’t wait to continue with this new series of films.”
As if that wasn’t enough news to get “Star Wars” fans excited, The Hollywood Reporter notes that Disney CEO Bob Iger called the development of the first live-action TV series based on the ‘Star Wars’ universe. In a transcript Thursday, Iger reportedly revealed that the show is scheduled to debut at a secret Disney streaming service in 2019.
“Star Wars: The Last Jedi” hits theaters on December 15, 2017.
On Our Radar
Ron White is Ugly split
To Jlaws BF
Bourdain: “I would poison Trump”
Ex reveals the truth about Pratt
Rowling RIPPED on Trump
Carrie’s shocking autopsy results
‘Bachelor’ twin shock
How Drew recovered