George Takei, says Chairman of the Trump family separation policy is ‘worse’ than the Japanese internment camps in a new op-ed for Foreign Policy, published on 19 June.
When George Takei was 5 years old, he was sent to a Japanese internment camp, but the “Star Trek” star says that in the US the current family separation policy “in a core, a horrible way” worse.
“At least during the internment of Japanese-Americans, I and the other children were not deprived of our parents,” Takei said in an op-ed for Foreign Policy published on Tuesday.
“We were not pulled screaming from our mothers’ arms. We were not left to change the diapers of younger children by ourselves.”
For your attention. I would like to have a read and a share. https://t.co/llCUna6kXB
— George Takei (@GeorgeTakei) June 19, 2018
Takei, 81, went on to explain that remaining with his family is what him by his “unjust incarceration.”
“In any case, during the detention, we were a family, and I credit that only to keep the scars of our unjust imprisonment and the depth of my soul.”
He continued: “I cannot for a moment imagine what my childhood would have been like had me thrown into a camp without my parents. That this happens today, the day fills me with both anger and grief: anger in the direction of a failed political leaders who seem to have lost even their most basic humanity, and a deep sorrow for the families affected.”
Takei is not the first star to slam Trump immigration policy, which allegedly has led to the separation of the nearly 2,000 children from their families during a six-week period in April and May, after the Attorney-General Jeff Sessions announced a “zero-tolerance” approach to immigrants who cross into the U.S. illegally.
On Monday, Chelsea Handler took to Twitter to claim the United States is in danger of turning into Nazi Germany.
“Can someone please DM who knows of an organized movement to revolt against this last trump abomination at the border? We have to stop everything and march to this Asset policy ends,” the comedian, 43, wrote. “We’re going to end up like Germany in the second world WAR. We all need to stand up and do something.”
Last week, Chrissy Teigen, posted a note on Twitter with the explanation that she and all the members of her family are donating $72,000 for the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) on the occasion of Trump’s 72nd birthday.
“John and I are outraged to see and hear the horror stories of immigrant families seeking asylum and refuge in America is ripped apart by the inhuman policy of the Trump administration. These actions are cruel, anti-family, and go against everything that we believe this country should represent,” wrote Teigen. “The ACLU is committed to the protection of the rights of mankind, and for these vulnerable families.”
“In addition to fighting for immigrants’ rights, they advocate for reproductive rights, voting rights, criminal justice reform, LGBT rights, 1st amendment rights and the retention of the Trump directors that is responsible when it is possible,” the 32-year-old model added to the pledge of her and her husband, John Legend donation, and asks the fans to donate however much they could.