Some residents Belgian border town evacuated to smoke out of caves
The residents of seven homes in the caves in the Belgian town Kanne to Maastricht Wednesday afternoon evacuated because of odor, smoke, and carbon monoxide.
The harassing gases and fumes from the inputs of the opposite foot, where, since Thursday, hundreds of cubic metres of hay and straw on fire.
The residents are housed in hotels and with family.
The fire Wednesday started with the removal of the smoldering hay out of the cave. This is done with a special hook. The hay is outside on a higher pasture extinguished.
For a entrance, is a large tunnelventilator placed that the smoke blows off, and so for better visibility in the corridors. Therefore, local residents do suffer more from smoke and fumes.
The removal of the hay and the extinguishing of it is going well, according to the fire department. Also in the night from Wednesday to Thursday is thus continued. The fire may still take a few days.