News

Soldier returns from Florence assistance to find NC home burglarized

National Guardsman Luis Ocampo was working in the low-lying river and the city of New Bern for 10 days when he found out that his North Carolina home was broken into.

(GoFundMe)

A North Carolina Army medic, who was placed on state active duty to assist with Hurricane Florence assistance, returned home Friday to find that he would be robbed.

National Guardsman Luis Ocampo was working in the low-lying river and the city of New Bern for 10 days after it was struck by strong winds and high water of the fearsome storm.

Ocampo returned to his Charlotte home on Friday. But when he did, he discovered that not only Mother Nature with a cruel streak. His house was broken into. A large screen TV, gaming system and a laptop were among the stolen items.

Ocampo said food was also stolen, pilfered from his fridge.

Ocampo said that his girlfriend and son checked on the house Thursday night, but by morning everything of value had been taken. Charlotte-Mecklenburg police have confirmed that they are investigating.

A GoFundMe page has been set up for Ocampo, and had raised in the neighborhood of $15,000 from Saturday evening.

“He did everything he could to help people in a time of need and now he is in a time of need. Every penny could help himself, his girlfriend and their baby,” the post read.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Paulina Dedaj is a writer/ reporter for Fox News. Follow her on Twitter @PaulinaDedaj.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular