Carr Fire evacuees return to destroyed homes
Residents faced with the total destruction in Redding, California; Jeff Paul reports from the scene.
State fire officials have identified a sixth victim of the Carr Fire in Northern California, which they say has become the seventh most devastating forest fire in the Golden State’s history, destroying more than 900 homes.
Daniel Bush, 62, died last week, as the fire swept through the Redding area, about 100 miles south of the Oregon border.
His sister, Kathi Gaston, tells the Redding Record Searchlight that her brother was returned to his mobile home in the community of Keswick last Tuesday after undergoing a quadruple heart bypass surgery.
The Carr Fire came through the area on Thursday. Gaston said her brother was not allowed to drive and could not evacuate without assistance, but she could not reach because the roads to his house were blocked by police officers.
Previously, two firefighters and two children and their grandmother were named as victims in connection with the Carr Fire.
State officials pinned the cause of the Carr Fire on a “mechanical failure of a vehicle,” according to a statement released by Cal Fire. Further details were not immediately available.
More than 100,000 acres have been charred by the inferno.
New fires ignite
Meanwhile, a new fire ignited Tuesday afternoon near a national forest, state officials said, as thousands of firefighters are already struggling with more than a dozen brands.
The new blaze quickly gained intensity as gusty winds fed the flames through the bush and grassland, as well as the oak, pine trees and wood in the vicinity of the Mendocino National Forest, Mendocino County Undersheriff Matthew Kendall said.
An old ranching and farming community in the vicinity of Covelo, located in Northern California, with about 60 homes, was evacuated as the fire threatened structures,” Kendall told the Associated Press.
There were no immediate reports of houses destroyed, and air support was called in to assist the new fire, but it was unclear when fire-fighting aircraft will come as many are already tied up in another fire, Kendall said.
Fire officials said the two burning about 40 miles to the south in Mendocino and Lake counties had destroyed at least seven homes and threatened an estimated 12,000 more.
Another fire broke out Tuesday night to the east, in Sutter County, but no homes were evacuated, state fire spokesman Scott McLean said.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Benjamin Brown is a reporter from Fox News. Follow him on Twitter @bdbrown473.