Shooting suspect in standoff in LA market; 1 woman killed

LOS ANGELES – A man who shot his grandmother and girlfriend on Saturday and then led police on a car chase that ended when he collided with a pole and walked into a crowded grocery store as bullets from the officers smashed the door. About three hours after he took hostages in the store, the suspect surrendered.

A woman was killed in the supermarket, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said.

Officers with riot gear, armed with guns, stood along the side of the Trader Joe’s in Silver Lake on Saturday afternoon and used mirrors to try to look inside as hostages regularly came out of the front door with the hands lifted. At least one person was injured but expected to survive.

The suspect walked with a cluster of four hostages and was fascinated when the group emerged through the front door. Police immediately surrounded the suspect, searched him and brought him to a waiting ambulance. The man appeared to have blood on his left arm.

The researchers believe that the suspect, whose name has not been released, had shot his grandmother and girlfriend around 1:30 a.m. in South Los Angeles and then fled in 2015 Toyota Camry, Sgt. Barry Montgomery, a Los Angeles police spokesman said.

Officers saw the suspect car in the vicinity of Hollywood and tried to pull him over, but the man refused to stop and led officers on a chase, ” he said. During the chase, the suspect shot “multiple rounds” at the officers, though no officers were hit by the gunfire, he said.

At least one officer is believed to have returned fire, Montgomery said.

The suspect eventually crashed his car outside the Trader Joe’s grocery store and then ran into the store. An Associated Press employee who lives in the area reported seeing a car crashed into a utility pole outside the shop.

Don Kohles, 91, walked into the supermarket when he saw a car being chased police crashed into a pole just outside. The police fired on the driver, is breaking the store glass doors, and Kohles and others within took cover and laid on the floor when the suspect walked in the store, ” he said.

He could hear others around him to sob as the man walked to the back of the store and yelling at people, but Kohles said that he never heard more gunshots. After about 30 minutes, the police came in and rushed a number of the customers, ” he said.

People frantically tried to flee from the store and some were seen to climb through windows, jump over 8 feet (2.44 meters), and others shot through the back door.

Christian Dunlop, a real estate agent and actor, who lives in the neighborhood, he said, watching from the corner when he saw four people flee from the front of the store. An employee was dragging a wounded woman by the hands out of the front door, ” he said.

A woman who was injured was taken to the hospital in stable condition, according to David Ortiz, a spokesman for the fire department, although it was unclear how she was injured. Officials said that they had 18 ambulances and 100 firefighters kept on the scene.

Montgomery said the situation was still ongoing and hostages were still in the store.

The officials are “trying to get the suspect to surrender and bring this to a peaceful conclusion,” he said.

President Donald Trump tweeted that he was “Looking at Los Angeles possible hostage situation very closely” and that Los Angeles police officers were working with the federal police.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular