News

September 11 plotters remain in legal limbo, frustrating relatives

close


Video

Terror interrogator explosion delay in the trial for 9/11 suspects

Dr. James Mitchell, who interviewed Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, pointing with the finger to the Obama administration for the delay.

Seventeen years after the Al-Qaeda carried out the 9/11 attacks, the terror organization is dismantled, the founder killed and many of his lieutenants caught — but a number of those who lost loved ones that Tuesday morning to say that justice still must be served.

Five of the men who are involved in the planning of the Sept. 11 hijackings — Ramzi Bin al-Shibh, Mustafa Ahmed al-Hawsawi, Abd al-Aziz Ali, Walid Bin Attash and alleged mastermind Khalid Shaikh Mohammed — are currently imprisoned in Guantanamo Bay. But they are also stuck in a legal limbo that has left the victims families more and more frustrated.

“It is outrageous that the length of time it has taken,” Debby Jenkins, whose brother Joseph, was one of the 2,977 killed on 9/11, told the New York Post this week.

She added: “thousands and Thousands of people are affected. Families are destroyed. There will never be closure, but we would like to see justice served. That is what we have to wait.”

Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the alleged mastermind behind the 9/11 attacks.

Each of the suspects were captured by 2003 and then questioned on various CIA ‘black sites’ for getting a accusation in 2008, according to the New York Post.

Former Attorney General Eric Holder, under the Obama administration, in the first instance, tried to move the cases to the federal district court in New York City. But after the controversial plan was dropped, the men were indicted again in 2012. But the business has somewhat come to a halt and the men remain trapped in the pre-trial hearings about their treatment by the US and or evidence officials learned through “enhanced interrogation” can be used in court.

“The fact that we cannot try these people is such an invaluable service to the citizens of this country,” Karen Greenberg, head of The Center for National Security at Fordham Law School, told the New York Post. “The system is just flawed in every way.”

Her comments came as Marine Col. Keith Parrella, the new military judge, charged with the treatment of the cases, argued in court this week that he is ready to keep pushing forward.

Ayman al-Zawahiri, Saif al-Adel and Abdullah Ahmed Abdullah, three 9/11-era Al-Qaida members are still sought in the aftermath of the attacks.

(FBI)

“I’ve worked out by a competent authority and we’re going out,” Parrella reportedly told attorneys Monday after taking the reins two weeks ago, after retirement from the Army Colonel James L. Pohl.

Parrella also said that he believes that he can begin hearing the legal arguments of this week, despite the fact that six years of the movements and more than 20,000 pages of the pre-trial transcripts to sift through the Miami Herald reports.

To date, only two men are tried and sentenced in connection with the Sept. 11 attacks.

Zacarias fashion tv, since 2005, is serving a life sentence without parole at ADX Florence. The Frenchman is housed in the same facility as Boston bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, Unabomber Ted Kaczynski and other Al Qaeda agents, such as ‘shoe bomber’ Richard Reid.

Mounir el-Motassadeq, who was arrested in Germany in the aftermath of 9/11, reportedly is set to be released next month after serving a 15 year prison sentence. He will then, according to Deutsche Welle, be expelled to his native Morocco.

Lead 9/11 hijacker Mohammed Atta, died after the crash of American Airlines Flight 11 into the World Trade Center in the former north tower and Al-Qaeda founder and leader Osama bin laden was finally hunted down and killed in Pakistan a decade later.

But, just like last month, every man’s relatives were still making headlines — Bin laden’s son, Hamza, is said to have married the daughter of Atta.

Other 9/11-era leadership figures in the terror of the group remained elusive.

The AMERICAN Ministry of foreign affairs is currently offering a reward of $25 million for information leading to the capture or conviction of Ayman al-Zawahiri, who allegedly played a role in the 1998 bombings on Us embassies in Tanzania and Kenya, served as bin laden’s No. 2, and then took Al-Qaeda after the killing of bin laden.

The government also has $10 million reward for information Saif al-Adel and Abdullah Ahmed Abdullah, described as members of Al-Qaeda’s leadership council. Also they were charged by a federal grand jury in 1998 embassy bombings, in which 224 people, including 12 Americans, dead.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular