News

Sen Menendez needs trump release blocked Puerto Rico help in a result of earthquakes

nearvideo Puerto Rico shocked by the size of the 5.9 earthquake caused further damage to the island

Magnitude 5.9 quake struck Puerto Rico, causing further damage along the South coast of the island.

In the Wake of the destructive earthquake in recent weeks, Sen. Bob Menendez, D-N. J., and a group of Puerto Rican leaders from New Jersey to demand that the Trump-administration-release to help upwards of $18 billion in disaster relief, the original, the island of the 2017 hurricane season.

Menendez, whose state contains one of the largest Puerto Rican population outside of the island itself, released a statement on Friday, President Trump’s rays, in response to the earthquake that struck the island earlier this month, saying it was not until after public pressure, he signed a Major disaster Declaration.

The statement also criticized the administration for holding Congressionally back is the corruption and ineffectiveness of the Puerto Rico government claims.

“Once again we see how President Trump, the indifference and contempt against US-American citizens in Puerto Rico was the aggravation of the crisis due to a natural disaster,” Menendez said. “By refusing for almost two years after the disbursement of more than $ 18 billion appropriated by Congress in the year 2018, the Administration sends a clear message of disregard for the thousands of Americans affected by the earthquake who are in desperate need of help.”

PUERTO RICO FIRES TWO MORE OFFICERS IN THE AFTERMATH OF HURRICANE MARIA’S HELP, UNUSED IN THE MIDST OF THE CURRENT EARTHQUAKE-AFTERMATH

Only Sunday, Puerto Rico Gov. Wanda Vazquez fired two officials from the island’s housing and family departments after a video surfaced of a camp, filled with water bottles, baby beds, baby food and other food that had apparently been sitting since hurricane Maria smashed the territory of the United States in September 2017.

Last week, Trump management, said that the release of $provide 8.3 billion, which had been held by the Department of housing and Urban development in the course that it will not be output properly, Politico reported.

During a hearing before the House Financial Services Committee last year, HUD Secretary Ben Carson Nydia Velazquez, D-NY prior to the Rep., of the Problem. When she asked Carson, when the hold of the funding was politically motivated, he replied that it was motivated by “common sense” by the government’s poor track record.

The United States Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Ben Carson speaks to the delegates during the California Republican Convention in Sacramento, Calif., Saturday, Feb. 23, 2019. (AP Photo/Steve Yeater)

HUD SECRETARY CARSON CLASHES WITH THE REP ABOUT HOLDING BACK PUERTO RICO FUND: ‘NOTHING TO HIDE’

Carson’s comments reflect a refined version of the attitude Trump has taken to the US territory, regularly bashing the government for its inefficiency.

“Puerto Rico is one of the most corrupt places on earth,” Trump tweeted in August. “Your political system is broken and politicians are either Incompetent or Corrupt. Congress approved billions of dollars in recent times, more than anywhere else has ever gotten, and it is sent to Pole is Curved. Not good!”

He added: “And by the way, I’m the best thing that ever Puerto Rico’s happened!”

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

In the joint statement with other leaders of the New Jersey Puerto Rican community, Menendez the fault of the block on the medium for stunting the process of rebuilding Puerto Rico’s infrastructure and the homes that were destroyed by hurricane Maria.

“Today we come together again to demand the trump Administration, a trace of decency, fairness and compassion to our fellow human beings, the Americans said in Puerto Rico,” Menendez show.

Fox News’ Danielle Wallace contributed to this report.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular