News

San Bernardino terror victims still fight for the proper treatment

 

More than a year after the Dec. 2, 2015, terror in San Bernardino, Calif., that left 14 people dead, victims of the horrific ordeal continue to struggle physically and mentally.

The problems started when the San Bernardino County posted the terror victims in the California Workers Compensation. Many survivors then had their claims repeatedly modified, or completely rejected. That refusal prompted the state to conduct an investigation into how the cases were handled. The findings, published this month, concluded that in many cases, the denial of care was the fault of the victims’ personal physicians, stating: “The fact that different applications were denied and may upon further research suggests that better communication by the providers of the county’s claims administrators, and improved documentation at the time applications were first filed would have reduced the number of UR denials and IMR (independent medical review) requests.”

“I have to fight for treatments, doctors and surgeons say I need. Everyone said, I need this, but my application is sent to utilization review and is denied,” Valerie Weber told Fox News during her continued recovery at the end of last year. They shot two times with a Tashfeen Malik, who along with her husband Syed Rizwan Farook, carried out the deadly attack.

A bullet paralyzed Weber’s left arm; the other shattered her pelvis. Weber is back in the I. C. this weekend after she experienced complications from her most recent surgery.


Expand / Contract

“I have to fight for treatments, doctors and surgeons say that I need,” says Valerie Weber, a victim of the 2015 San Bernardino terror.

(Photo courtesy of Gary Kaplan)

Gary Kaplan, Weber’s lawyer says that, while the blame is being tossed around, the real responsibility lies in a system is not designed to wounds usually supported on the front of the lines.

“If you’re in a different setting with the help of your own insurance, the vast majority of the things that you need to get better would be approved and paid for by the insurance, and it’s just not in the workers’ compensation system.” Kaplan says.

The San Bernardino County Board Chairman, Robert A. Lovingood, released a statement earlier this month. “This is unexplored area for the province, for the doctors, and certainly for the survivors. But the state investigation shows the county has worked hard and effectively to ensure a safe and complete care for employees injured during this horrifying attack. This is the county’s priority since that fateful day,” Lovingood says.

Fox News has reached many times in the past months to the County Board of Supervisors for a camera interview, but all five members of the council declined to comment or appear. That silence is also supplied to the survivors, who continue to seek assistance in their ongoing process of recovery, some even begging President Trump for help.

Follow us

Don't be shy, get in touch. We love meeting interesting people and making new friends.

Most popular