Report: ABC considering ‘Roseanne’ reboot without Roseanne
How feasable is a ‘Roseanne’ spin-off that doesn’t have Roseanne? Michael Tammero shares insight.
While Roseanne Barr can be done on ABC, the characters she helped create are ready for a comeback. ABC has given a series order to a spin-off of “Roseanne” that will not Barr, but the rest of her on-screen family.
ABC announced in a statement that it greenlit a series with the title “The Conners,” to air on Tuesday at 8 am, this fall. Barr reportedly will have no financial or creative involvement with the show after her firing over a racist tweet aimed at former Obama aide Valerie Jarrett in that she referred to her as a “monkey.”
“I regret the circumstances that have caused me to be removed from Roseanne,” Barr said about the agreement she made with producer Werner Entertainment, in a statement to Fox News. “I agreed to the settlement to which 200 tasks of the beloved cast and crew could be saved, and I wish the best for all involved.”
Members of the Cast John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf, Sara Gilbert, Lecy Goranson and Michael Fishman are set to reprise their roles. It is unclear at this time how the family will remain without Barr’s character or how they are written. Deadline reports that “a sudden turn of events” will lead the Conners to face the daily life in their house of Lanford, Illinois, and in a way they haven’t before – without their no-nonsense matriarch.
“The Conners’ stories show that families can always find common ground through conversation, laughter, and love. The spin-off will continue to portray the contemporary issues that are just as relevant as 30 years ago,” ABC said in a statement announcing the news.
The recurring cast gave a statement:
“We have received a large degree of support from fans of our show, and it is clear that these characters not only have a place in our hearts, but in the hearts and homes of our target audience,” the statement read. “We came back from last season, because we wanted to tell stories about the challenges of a working-class family today. We are so happy to have the opportunity to return with the cast and crew to stay, people share stories, love and laughter.”
As reported earlier, Barr was canceled last month, despite a series for a second season of the revival, which picked up where the family Conner left after the original run ended in 1996. The premiere was a huge ratings success for the network, but ABC pulled the plug after a few politically charged tweets from Barr awarded by the racist comments against Jarrett.
“Roseanne’s Twitter statement is appalling, abhorrent and inconsistent with our values, and we have decided to let her see it,” ABC Entertainment President Channing Dungey told Fox News at the time.
Since then, rumors are swirling that the network in the hope to push forward with a spin-off that would not have been “Roseanne.” Fans and critics alike were skeptical about the concept of a “Roseanne” series without Roseanne, but it seems that the network is betting on the supporting cast to maintain its ratings high.